Bach bass madness

whitbey

Re: Bach bass madness

Post by whitbey »

RConrad wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:44 pm That's a really interesting way to do that. I figured it has to move laterally when I looked at where it pivots. About how long is the travel?
A little too long. About an inch. But it moves very easy and lays with the natural finger bend with a normal hold on the horn.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

whitbey wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:02 pm So a little help to back to the Bach bass.

My Bach bass

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1izx3 ... sp=sharing

Bass Bach 50 Corporation horn. Bb/F/C. The bell is very soft and thin. The horn plays like a dream. Dependent valves old school wrap. C section is larger bore than the F section. Custom open lead pipe made years ago. Stork 1S MP. This horn is 60years old. It was bought in the 70’s from Giardinelli in New York. The sales guy I worked with said the horn was originally a single valve Mount Vernon horn that Giardinelli sent to Bach to add a second valve since they had the horn in stock for years. There was a solder mark on the receiver where the original lever was. With the new valve the new style twin keys were put on the bell brace. The bell was stamped Elkhorn and Corporation at that time on an angle to the original engraving. There is no serial number; it was lost when the horn was reassembled. The bell is very soft and thin and plays like a dream. The second valve was set up as a dependent Bb/F/E. I had a new tuning slide made with larger tubing in C so now the horn is Bb/F/C. Low C with both valves is in first position and plays very open. Peddle BBb is in a long 3rd and plays easy too. Low B in two trigger long 2nd position is an easy hit. So in the key of C and the sharp keys the horn is easy to play as the positions are close to the same as with the F valve for C, B, Bb, and A.
Thanks for sharing! Any chance of a a picture of the bell stamp?

Andrew
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

whitbey wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:43 pm A little too long. About an inch. But it moves very easy and lays with the natural finger bend with a normal hold on the horn.
Yeah that could be rough if you need to use that valve quickly but at least there isn't a lot of resistance. Probably less taxing on your left hand in general that way? It's probably more natural feeling at least if you usually rest your index finger by the receiver.
Robert C

Return to “Instruments”