King Identification

diabolicaldon

King Identification

Post by diabolicaldon »

Hi. I'll start off by telling you that I don't know a ton about musical instruments. Full disclosure; I am a reseller. I have sold a few trombones in the past, including a couple of King Liberty and a Bach Stradivarius. I picked up this King today and according to the HN White website the S/N indicates that it's from the early 60's. This is my first experience with a trombone that has an "F attachment", but my main issue is that I can't figure out what model it is. Other than the main King logo on the bell the only other markings I see are the serial number. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Re: King Identification

Post by BGuttman »

The shape of the F-attachment wrap and the solid linkage indicate a King 3B (Concert). If it is a 3B it would be standard shank. If it's a large shank it might be a predecessor of the 4B.

What is the diameter of the bell; and the bore size (measured at the end of the stocking)?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

It looks like a Symphony model 1480. A 3B never had the finger ring, and the slide looks wider than a 3B. I’ve never seen a 3B with that engraving either. Some of the symphony models were dual bore .536 and took a small shank mouthpiece.
diabolicaldon

Post by diabolicaldon »

The bell is 9" and if I'm measuring the correct thing then the sleeve is 9/16"
diabolicaldon

Post by diabolicaldon »

The bell is 9" across and the sleeve, if I'm measuring the correct thing, is 9/16".
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

It;s a King Symphony. Predecessor of the 5B. The wrap is a bit more modern than the old 1480, though.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
diabolicaldon

Post by diabolicaldon »

While searching I see both Symphony 5b and Symphony 1480, and pretty much all of them are marked so I'm not sure what to think. I just want to make sure I have my information correct when the time comes to sell it so I'm not inadvertently misleading someone. Not to mention the more I know the more I can accurately estimate it's value.

I definitely appreciate the knowledge I'm getting here so thank you all.
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

Most Pre 5b Symphony 1480s were not marked as far as I know. I’m trying to think if I’ve ever seen a pre 5B one actually marked at all, aside from “Silvertone” for the Sterling Silver versions or some of the duo bore versions that were marked “2B” , indicating it was a duo bore. This is before the 2B small bore, which was similarly named when they introduced the duo bore version of the Liberty model, That’s where 2B comes from. At some point, 2B became the model name of all versions of the small bore horn, but originally, it indicated a duo bore horn of any size.
But that horn really looks like a 1480, you wouldn’t be wrong by identifying it as such when selling it.

Return to “Instruments”