Marching trombone stuffiness?

Fruitysloth

Marching trombone stuffiness?

Post by Fruitysloth »

So I’ve been using a Reynolds marching trombone for some local band stuff, and I’m loving it! My one issue is I can’t put the same amount of air through it like I can my Conn 6H. Are there any mods or fixes that can get it playing less stuffy and let me really project? Thanks in advance!
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
brassmedic

Re: Marching trombone stuffiness?

Post by brassmedic »

That's just how they are. You should get a Conn 90G. It's essentially an 8H with baritone horn valves. Much larger bore than other valve trombones. The only valve trombone I've ever played that wasn't stuffy.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I have one that I've thought about replacing the receiver with a large shank. That might help somewhat but otherwise as Brad indicated, they're generally stuffy instruments. Make sure that the pistons are properly aligned and that you aren't leaking out of any of the water keys though, that can exacerbate the issue.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Check out a thread by Funkhoss on his experiment with a valved horn. He used larger bore baritone or euph valves.

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... oss#p90234
jtbandmusic

Post by jtbandmusic »

So you want a really GOOD valve trombone? What you really need is a English Baritone.
Three valve compensater. Chinese. Cheap. Strange looking. Really well in tune.
Really! Nice tone. Maybe $500 until the tariffs hit.

(For any REAL brass band folks, who think of a baritone horn is light, melodic real
legit part of a long and great tradition, just ignore me! )

This weird little horn ( Mine is a Schiller ) is actually a really great, strangely wrapped
valve trombone. No kidding. Pretend it's a trombone, and aim for a trombone tone,
not a compensating whats-a-phonium. Close your eyes and you can hear a trombone, like
an 88h or 42B, or maybe a little bit bigger. I've used it in concert band and quintet, especially
in crowded venues. Lots of strange looks, but a lot of good comments too.

WAY better than any marching horn, just looks weird.

John Thompson
Yamaha 646, Besson 10-10, Schiller Baritone, Sterling Euph
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

I think stuffy is just relative. I thought they were stuffy until I started to spend more time on it and realized there is a sweet spot in terms of blow just like any other horn. Also mouthpiece choice can really change things, especially the difference between ~.230 and 'E' .250 throats.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Mv2541 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:49 am I think stuffy is just relative. I thought they were stuffy until I started to spend more time on it and realized there is a sweet spot in terms of blow just like any other horn. Also mouthpiece choice can really change things, especially the difference between ~.230 and 'E' .250 throats.
Yeah, totally agree with this. I've got a Reynolds compact valve bone, and I love it. It doesn't play really loud, which is a little counter intuitive coming from a marching instrument. I can see if you're in the habit of trying to blow the valves out of it, you might think it's stuffy, but if you work with the horn, it's got a great feel. I use a C cup Elliot piece (which is a little small for a 515 bore) and it plays sweet. It's the kind of horn you have to lay back on a little.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

hyperbolica wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:07 am
Mv2541 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:49 am I think stuffy is just relative. I thought they were stuffy until I started to spend more time on it and realized there is a sweet spot in terms of blow just like any other horn. Also mouthpiece choice can really change things, especially the difference between ~.230 and 'E' .250 throats.
Yeah, totally agree with this. I've got a Reynolds compact valve bone, and I love it. It doesn't play really loud, which is a little counter intuitive coming from a marching instrument. I can see if you're in the habit of trying to blow the valves out of it, you might think it's stuffy, but if you work with the horn, it's got a great feel. I use a C cup Elliot piece (which is a little small for a 515 bore) and it plays sweet. It's the kind of horn you have to lay back on a little.
Out of my curiosity what shank are you using? I used a C+/C2 in the past but it was too shallow for the sound I want. The 6 1/2 E throat pieces seem to work best for me, but I use it pretty much exclusively in combo work. To be honest I try and approach the marching trombone like a flugelhorn: mellow and not aggressive. A wonderful ballad horn for sure. A bass trumpet fits the agressive role better, but if one thinks a flugabone is stuffy there's even less chance of them making a bass trumpet work.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

They are definitely extremely mouthpiece-sensitive. Using my shallow Warburton is blat city, but with my Hammond 13M it plays great and has a great and unique sound. It also sounds great with my small shank Schilke 51D, almost like a mini-euphonium. Maybe I just got lucky but mine doesn't feel stuffy at all.

Return to “Instruments”