Wessex F Contra

Tremozl

Wessex F Contra

Post by Tremozl »

Hey guys, anyone have any feedback on the new Wessex F Contra? I own a regular Bass and a Miraphone Contrabass so I was thinking about filling in the gap in between.

How does it blow in general? How are the pedals? Especially with the trigger down - how is pedal C / Bb? Is there anything about the horn that really stands out as excellent, or truly awful?

It's certainly more affordable than any new European Contra. Has anyone seen a used European F Contra around the same price as a new Wessex? (USD $3070)

If you own one, please share your thoughts on it :)
CalgaryTbone

Re: Wessex F Contra

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Our Bass Trombonist here has one and is quite happy with it for his uses. I've played a few notes on it, but am not qualified to offer an opinion. I was quite surprised at how easily it spoke for me as a tenor player who rarely even plays a bass. Send me an email or PM with your email address, and I'll pass it along to him to let him answer your questions.

Jim Scott
Calgary Philharmonic
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Well, it has to have a better pedal C than the non-existent one on the Miraphone!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

I never tried the Wessex contrabass owned by the former basstrombonist in The Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, and an amature basstrombonist (who own the Williams 10 I used to play). The pro in SRO love it! And he also have the Lätzsch that I played in the orchestra (and jazz recording!) The lätzsch has a powerfull sound, all the notes speak down to the lwest pedals and up the top tone in the Ride. But it is not cheap. Buy the Wessex and tell os about it! :)

I did try the Miraphone BBb. I asked the guys why do you make this horn? Some people want. Aha.
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:52 pm Well, it has to have a better pedal C than the non-existent one on the Miraphone!
Well, I mean, for special effect it is there. You can tune the horn to BBb and EE, which enables it to be played. That C1 is a fairly stuffy note but with a little oomf it can sound really great and nasty. Of course, B natural still only exists as a false tone and now your F1 and C2 are in 6th. I've attached an image at the bottom of this post.
Edit: it seems not all Miraphones have a long enough tuning slide on their F-attachment to do this! Only some do, such as mine which is an older model from 1972. Perhaps they don't do it anymore, or it was only done as a special-order, as mine is second hand as well.
Basbasun wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:09 am I never tried the Wessex contrabass owned by the former basstrombonist in The Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, and an amature basstrombonist (who own the Williams 10 I used to play). The pro in SRO love it! And he also have the Lätzsch that I played in the orchestra (and jazz recording!) The lätzsch has a powerfull sound, all the notes speak down to the lwest pedals and up the top tone in the Ride. But it is not cheap. Buy the Wessex and tell os about it! :)

I did try the Miraphone BBb. I asked the guys why do you make this horn? Some people want. Aha.
The Miraphone is occasionally desired for its different sound from F Contras - it has a darker timbre due to its more conical tubing (its bell tapers much slower), and plays an even lower register as partials rather than fundamentals (which also contributes to that timbral difference.) However it's better suited for film scores or new music written specifically for it (and often film music is minimalistic enough that it serves that role well.) But for classical music, it tends to be inadequate - since it is not agile at all, and in the staff a lot of the partials are really close together too. Trying to play Ride of the Valkyries on it is generally unpleasant, and it's surprising that it is technically the 'original' horn used for the Ring (Wagner had a double-slide BBb Contra without the F-attachment at his disposal.) I bought it to record in my own soundtracks and to play along to my favourites as well, and for that brassy low sound it works great :D
CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:42 pm Our Bass Trombonist here has one and is quite happy with it for his uses. I've played a few notes on it, but am not qualified to offer an opinion. I was quite surprised at how easily it spoke for me as a tenor player who rarely even plays a bass. Send me an email or PM with your email address, and I'll pass it along to him to let him answer your questions.

Jim Scott
Calgary Philharmonic
Appreciate the offer Jim, but I don't think I need to bother him :P Just hearing he's generally happy with it gives my some idea as to what to expect.

Anyhow glad to hear atleast two professionals enjoy the Wessex Contra :)

The above-mentioned Miraphone BBb/"EE":
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tremozl on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Trying to play Ride of the Valkyries on it is generally unpleasant,
On the score it is Written "Bassposaune / Kontrabassposaune".
The player had two horns in the pit. I don´t think the Ride was played on the conta. Still today it performed that way in many orchestras.
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

Basbasun wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:02 am
Trying to play Ride of the Valkyries on it is generally unpleasant,
On the score it is Written "Bassposaune / Kontrabassposaune".
The player had two horns in the pit. I don´t think the Ride was played on the conta. Still today it performed that way in many orchestras.
Ah, well, that would explain that!
Of course, this fellow did otherwise:

Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Yes that sounds good. I did play the ride on F contra myself, until I say the Wien symphonyorchestra when the 4th tromboneplayer played it on bass, I liked it bette because the tuba is also playing. There are other places where the contra is really the best instrument. Either way, you can play the ride on F contra, but I would not do it on BBb contra.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Hmm, the Miraphone I have right now doesn't pull to EE. Not nearly enough length on the F slide.
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:18 am Hmm, the Miraphone I have right now doesn't pull to EE. Not nearly enough length on the F slide.
Wow, really? Maybe the new ones don't. I've got an oldie from 1972.

Seems like it was purpose-built for that low C on mine so it's a shame to hear not all have it. Wonder why they stopped it.
Last edited by Tremozl on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Here's mine. Slide in, at full extension, and how short the legs are compared to the receivers.

It pulls to maybe 60 percent of E, far short and definitely not a good low C with the handslide all the way out.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I do have to say, the range on the F attachment from pedal F to Db is just the best. Nothing else sounds like that down there, definitely not my F contra. Too bad the rest of it is not nearly as good.
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

Indeed, I love those low notes. They seem to work great with regular Contrabass Trombone mouthpieces too (rather I find the Tuba mpcs are a bit less responsive.)
I've also played the Wessex F Cimbasso, and though those pedal tones tend to be a bit stuffy, they can really bark with a bit of practice. I might describe the Cimbasso pedals as.. unenjoyable to play, but what comes out the bell sounds good. I suspect an F Contra may blow a bit more free, but haven't tried one yet!

Here's a close-up of my tuning slide. The ruler is in Centimeters (sorry I'm Canadian, eh? )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Mine shows 12.8cm per leg. A handy 7.5cm shorter than yours!

Return to “Instruments”