M.Schmelzer 405MG4 medium bore silver bell

marccromme

M.Schmelzer 405MG4 medium bore silver bell

Post by marccromme »

I have the possibility to buy a used, 25 year old M.Schmelzer 405MG4 medium bore with sterling silver bell and valve (standard rotary type) in near future, probably for around 1.200,- euro. Only drag is that I have to drive a day to see it.

According to seller - a trombonist former playing in 1. division amateur bands - no major issues, only usual dings, and slide is good.

Before I make arrangements to see it, I'd like to know from the shared wisdom of this forms members what I should expect?

Will it be par to - say - a good Bach 36 or other instrument of medium-size bore?

Please let me know what you think ..
Trevorspaulding376

Re: M.Schmelzer 405MG4 medium bore silver bell

Post by Trevorspaulding376 »

In my experience they are great instruments. I had a .525 bore Schmelzer model 3 that was phenomenal ! Just too big a horn as I play small bore horns, go check it out for sure
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Schmelzer is known for top notch craftsmanship. So I'd expect better than Bach.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Plan on doing something while on the outing in addition to auditioning the horn. Even if you decide not to get it, you'll have dedicated time to see / do something interesting. No reason to suspect it wouldn't be a bad horn but check the inside condition of the slide real good. Horns that are pretty can hide some expensive to fix issues on the slide contact surfaces. Show us a picture if you decide to get it. Have an enjoyable trip
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Great. Good responses, I will go for it. I'll post an update when I have got it.
sterb225

Post by sterb225 »

I tried three Schmelzers for an extended period while on the hunt for my current horn. Craftsmanship was superb and the sound was dark and singing. In the end, none quite spoke to me quite like the Edwards did. The no. 3 was possibly the most facile .525" horn I've ever played while at the same time also capable of tremendous output with the right mouthpiece and focused air. Each one was very different, definitely go into the experience with an open mind and possibly more than one mouthpiece in hand.

Return to “Instruments”