Anyone know anything about this horn?

Calibass

Anyone know anything about this horn?

Post by Calibass »

I have a Richard Gareis Bleistadt Boheman trombone. I’m trying to find out some info on it. Does anyone know anything about this?
1A29BC15-A293-4ABB-A47A-A0F7B9F42B2A.jpeg
E53650E5-A5D2-41AA-ADD3-B080E0DFE578.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnL

Re: Anyone know anything about this horn?

Post by JohnL »

From what I can piece together, Richard Gareis was a violin maker in Olovi (German name Bleistadt) in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. That part of what is now the Czech Republic was a major center of instrument manufacture for centuries.

Given that Gareis was a luthier, it's likely that this trombone was a stencil - sold by Gareis (or his successors) under that name, but built by someone else. Looks like a typical Czech stencil to me, although it's interesting to see one stenciled for a Czech seller (most of the ones you find in the US are stenciled for an American seller).

I found this page:
http://bassic-sax.info/pix/index.php?/category/14210
showing a Gareis-marked saxophone that was apparently built by Keilwerth. You'll notice that it's also marked "Bleistadt", but in place of "Bohemia" it says "C. S. R" (Czecho-Slovak Republic?). That makes me think that an instrument marked "Bohemia" probably predates the formation of Czechoslovakia (1918).

Of course, you probably want to know what it's worth. Unfortunately, not a whole lot. Build quality on Czech stencils is usually pretty good, but they're generally smaller bore than is commonly used today.
Calibass

Post by Calibass »

Wow, thank you very much. Greatly appreciated
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

From the features, the water key in particular and the styles of ferrules, I would say it's likelier to be 20th century rather than 19th.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Now for the real question: how does it play?

And does the dog approve?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Calibass

Post by Calibass »

Sounds great but badly in need of slide work. The dog is very happy it’s not a Marshall amp 😂
Bloo

Post by Bloo »

Calibass wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:10 pm Sounds great but badly in need of slide work.
bad slides are the trademark of old stencil horns on ebay
I'm partial to vintage Conn horns, and new Getzens.

Return to “Instruments”