Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

User avatar
HawaiiTromboneGuy
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:37 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:43 pm

mrdeacon wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:28 pm
That triangle mechanism on the new horn is super neat!

So what's the difference between the bell throats on all three of these? The middle one is the Fuchs right?
It is indeed pretty neat!

And correct, the one in the middle is the Fuchs. The Fuchs is definitely the biggest of the three. The one to the right is very similar. The newest one on the left is the smallest of the bunch and is more like the small throat 70H.

Burgerbob wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:42 pm
I'll point out that this same mechanism is on the early 20th century Kruspe that swisstbone has up in another thread. Very interesting.


Oh, also I love the little tiny guard on the F attachment tuning slide. Never seen that before!!
Good observation! I just took a look at his photos and it definitely is the same mechanism on his Kruspe.

That tiny guard on the F tuning slide is definitely cool. I haven’t seen one like it before as well, but I’m sure the Conn experts will know more.
Professional bum.
User avatar
SwissTbone
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by SwissTbone » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:50 am

Hm? Triangle mechanism? On the valve? Sorry, I don't understand.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
User avatar
BGuttman
Posts: 3168
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 am
Location: Cow Hampshire

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by BGuttman » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:44 am

SwissTbone wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:50 am
Hm? Triangle mechanism? On the valve? Sorry, I don't understand.
The strap on the thong pulls on a triangular (approximately) shaped mechanism to turn the valve.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kbiggs
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:46 am
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by Kbiggs » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:23 am

What a gorgeous collection!
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
User avatar
SwissTbone
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by SwissTbone » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:03 pm

BGuttman wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:44 am
SwissTbone wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:50 am
Hm? Triangle mechanism? On the valve? Sorry, I don't understand.
The strap on the thong pulls on a triangular (approximately) shaped mechanism to turn the valve.
Ah ok. Thanks.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:26 am

Just built a slot in second valve for my 60H. Conn valve and tube except for the mid-size bend.

Chris
Attachments
20201120_144609.jpg
20201120_144609.jpg (3.16 MiB) Viewed 5141 times
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 am

Another angle...
Attachments
20201120_144730.jpg
20201120_144730.jpg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 5138 times
User avatar
SwissTbone
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by SwissTbone » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:33 am

Yeah! That's cool!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
User avatar
elmsandr
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: S.E. Michigan
Contact:

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by elmsandr » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 am

Long lever AND string linkage?

Ridiculous, and oh so beautiful.

Cheers,
Andy
Kbiggs
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:46 am
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by Kbiggs » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:57 pm

Wild! Interesting thumb touch—plate arrangement. E or E-flat?
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:07 pm

elmsandr wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 am
Long lever AND string linkage?

Ridiculous, and oh so beautiful.

Cheers,
Andy
Ha ha ! Second string linkage slot in I've built.....miniball at the other end keeps it online..... with string on the F valve, you pretty much have to have string on the second due to the very short throw with string. Nice and silent. The connecting rod is hollow, so light.

Chris
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:12 pm

Kbiggs wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:57 pm
Wild! Interesting thumb touch—plate arrangement. E or E-flat?
Touch plate is like the Holton slot in mechanism. Not perfect, but this is for occasional use and to be honest, it's better than I expected. It's Eb....I could add D tube easily.

Chris
User avatar
Savio
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:23 pm

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by Savio » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:38 pm

Thats nice Chris! You make it your self? I put a weight on my 60h. Just to make it more balanced in my hands. Here is a picture. Its not nice but after some time with this solution I also feel to make it permanent.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnFhNyFesmcYhfxJG3R ... w?e=6t7xWZ

Leif
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:42 pm

Savio wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:38 pm
Thats nice Chris! You make it your self? I put a weight on my 60h. Just to make it more balanced in my hands. Here is a picture. Its not nice but after some time with this solution I also feel to make it permanent.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnFhNyFesmcYhfxJG3R ... w?e=6t7xWZ

Leif
Yes Leif, I built it myself...no way could I afford all the custom stuff I have if I didn't do my own work. That was around 10 hours, but it doesn't have a final finish yet, but then nor does the 60H..... they may just stay like that. A balance weight on a 60H is a good idea.....I have one on the plain F tuning slide myself.

Chris
Tbarh
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by Tbarh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:32 am

FOSSIL wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 am
Another angle...
In my opinion, a trombone should be really back heavy, and also the valve tubing layout should leave more weight on the neckpipe side of the bell... In this respect this horn should be a dream to play ergonomically.. And a 60H at that... :good: :good: :good:
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:10 am

Tbarh wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:32 am
FOSSIL wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 am
Another angle...
In my opinion, a trombone should be really back heavy, and also the valve tubing layout should leave more weight on the neckpipe side of the bell... In this respect this horn should be a dream to play ergonomically.. And a 60H at that... :good: :good: :good:
You are so right, it's a dream ergonomically....though there are times when the ease of use of the independent will displace it... but that may be rare indeed. I made one for a 71H that I had and totally loved it, but one of my students needed it for his 60H, so I sold it to him. Always regretted that, so now I have an open wrap slot in !!
There are a few interesting changes that the valve has created.... it still feels like a single, not a double, and the F valve blows better with this added valve in place. No negatives so far and about 50 grams heavier than the plain tuning slide that has a Conn balance weight added, So feel in the hand is not too different.
Can't wait to get back to work with it....three weeks to go until some recordings...bring it on !

Chris
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by WGWTR180 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:28 am

Chris. Blown away with this. If I lived closer(HAHA), had a 60H(HAHA), I'd pay you to do this!!!
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 am

WGWTR180 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:28 am
Chris. Blown away with this. If I lived closer(HAHA), had a 60H(HAHA), I'd pay you to do this!!!
If you lived closer, I probably wouldn't have any work at all !! 😁😁. It's funny how the Holton slot-in changes the 169 in a big, fundamental kind of way.... people either hated it (Ray Premru) or loved it (Dave Taylor) but the Holton slot ins either stayed in or were never used. This valve seems to be less intrusive.
As for building for other people, that takes a lot of fun out of it.... this was just an experiment and if it was a failure it would not matter a jot. I could walk away. Once I commit to a job for someone, pressure comes into the equation...and deciding what to charge.... the need to be fair and still not make a loss. That adds up to stress.
Any jobs I choose with great care....friends and students for the most part. Now, if you lived closer Bill, you would definitely be on my approved list ! 😉😉.

Chris
sf105
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by sf105 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:05 am

Savio wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:38 pm
Thats nice Chris! You make it your self? I put a weight on my 60h. Just to make it more balanced in my hands. Here is a picture. Its not nice but after some time with this solution I also feel to make it permanent.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnFhNyFesmcYhfxJG3R ... w?e=6t7xWZ

Leif
I have a couple of horns that are very front heavy. I went for the spare mouthpiece and electrical tape solution. Ugly but effective.

S
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:52 am

Electrical tape....useful if you want to make a bright sound....😂😂🙄🙄.

Chris
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:55 am

Here you go....balance weight on F tuning slide...

Chris
Attachments
20201122_185304.jpg
20201122_185304.jpg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 4687 times
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by WGWTR180 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:03 pm

FOSSIL wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 am
WGWTR180 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:28 am
Chris. Blown away with this. If I lived closer(HAHA), had a 60H(HAHA), I'd pay you to do this!!!
If you lived closer, I probably wouldn't have any work at all !! 😁😁. It's funny how the Holton slot-in changes the 169 in a big, fundamental kind of way.... people either hated it (Ray Premru) or loved it (Dave Taylor) but the Holton slot ins either stayed in or were never used. This valve seems to be less intrusive.
As for building for other people, that takes a lot of fun out of it.... this was just an experiment and if it was a failure it would not matter a jot. I could walk away. Once I commit to a job for someone, pressure comes into the equation...and deciding what to charge.... the need to be fair and still not make a loss. That adds up to stress.
Any jobs I choose with great care....friends and students for the most part. Now, if you lived closer Bill, you would definitely be on my approved list ! 😉😉.

Chris
Wouldn't want to cause any pressure. I'm thinking playing, crash course in soldering, and beer drinking. Rinse and repeat. :wink:
GabrielRice
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:20 am
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Contact:

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by GabrielRice » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:59 am

WGWTR180 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:03 pm
Wouldn't want to cause any pressure. I'm thinking playing, crash course in soldering, and beer drinking. Rinse and repeat. :wink:
That sounds like huge fun. Can I come?
Gabriel Langfur Rice

Faculty
Boston University School of Music
Kinhaven Music School Senior Session
Wellesley College

Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by WGWTR180 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:02 am

GabrielRice wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:59 am
WGWTR180 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:03 pm
Wouldn't want to cause any pressure. I'm thinking playing, crash course in soldering, and beer drinking. Rinse and repeat. :wink:
That sounds like huge fun. Can I come?
Oh Yeh!!!!!!!!
mlshermancpa
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:01 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by mlshermancpa » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:06 pm

Bloo wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:49 pm
Played a 110H from the 60s with a custom Hagmann valve. It was loaned from a professor at my local uni. I played bass in a community brass choir for a year. It blended easily and was loud enough to only be one of two basses.
I also used it to play a few performances with my brass quintet. We performed before the choir a few times, and travel arrangements meant I was unable to take my tenor. With a tenor mouthpiece, the 110h still sounded wonderful and did the job. Not as well as a tenor, but as well as a bass could.

The 110h suited any style I wanted to use it for, and even stepped outside of the role and filled a tenor role on occasion. It was a dream to play. The only thing I don't like is how large the bell is. Would much prefer a 9 - 8.5 inch bell over the 10" monster I played.

Overall?
I really want one and I ache every time I play my current bass.
How do you think the 110H holds up (sound wise) against the older vintage Conn models? I have a 110H but haven't played many other horns for comparison purposes. Just started doubling a few years ago.
User avatar
imsevimse
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by imsevimse » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:34 am

mlshermancpa wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:06 pm
Bloo wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:49 pm
Played a 110H from the 60s with a custom Hagmann valve. It was loaned from a professor at my local uni. I played bass in a community brass choir for a year. It blended easily and was loud enough to only be one of two basses.
I also used it to play a few performances with my brass quintet. We performed before the choir a few times, and travel arrangements meant I was unable to take my tenor. With a tenor mouthpiece, the 110h still sounded wonderful and did the job. Not as well as a tenor, but as well as a bass could.

The 110h suited any style I wanted to use it for, and even stepped outside of the role and filled a tenor role on occasion. It was a dream to play. The only thing I don't like is how large the bell is. Would much prefer a 9 - 8.5 inch bell over the 10" monster I played.

Overall?
I really want one and I ache every time I play my current bass.
How do you think the 110H holds up (sound wise) against the older vintage Conn models? I have a 110H but haven't played many other horns for comparison purposes. Just started doubling a few years ago.
Interesting to hear about the 110h as well as the 112h compared to the older ones. We do not hear as much about them as the earlier models. Personally I have never played one and never met any basstrombonist with either one over here. I'm Interested to learn more about this too.

/Tom
My profile on facebook with new videos from concerts: https://www.facebook.com/tomas.hillerbrant

My webbpage: https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic

"Do your best and then do better" ttf_watermailonman
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:02 am

Here's my double set up for Bb/F/bE/C....not as funcky as my previous set up, but it blows better.

Chris
Attachments
20201205_145841.jpg
20201205_145841.jpg (4.15 MiB) Viewed 3736 times
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:24 pm

Remember that slot in that I built a few weeks ago ? Well, I'm back to work tomorrow and am taking it in.... except that when I tried to put it in my carbon fiber case, it didn't fit....fact it was not going in any of my cases...even my leather gig bag was not happy taking this bell.....finally, I tried an Eastman....it fits !!!! This is the big bass case and not really my fav, but it is the most accommodating of all my boxes and has saved the day. A good case if you have an odd shaped trombone....thought I'd share that info.

Chris
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:25 pm

Pic
Attachments
20201207_191023.jpg
20201207_191023.jpg (4.46 MiB) Viewed 3530 times
User avatar
JohnL
Posts: 882
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 am
Contact:

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by JohnL » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:05 pm

FOSSIL wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:24 pm
Well, I'm back to work tomorrow...
:good:
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:39 pm

JohnL wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:05 pm
FOSSIL wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:24 pm
Well, I'm back to work tomorrow...
:good:
Thanks....gonna feel odd 😐

Chris
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:40 pm

Well, especially for WGW I have reworked my slot in valve so that the valve is not offset.... one for you Bill !!!😁😁
Attachments
20201211_220854.jpg
20201211_220854.jpg (4.21 MiB) Viewed 3036 times
20201211_220829.jpg
20201211_220829.jpg (4.42 MiB) Viewed 3036 times
mrdeacon
Posts: 915
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 2:05 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by mrdeacon » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:27 am

Chris is that a certain 2g I spot in the 60h?
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42B 1977, Elliott XT
Holton TR185 1968, Elliott XB
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:11 am

mrdeacon wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:27 am
Chris is that a certain 2g I spot in the 60h?
At times it's an uncertain 2G...but yes, your old 2G. Working really well in the orchestra....as is your old 60H.

Chris
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by WGWTR180 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:37 am

FOSSIL wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:40 pm
Well, especially for WGW I have reworked my slot in valve so that the valve is not offset.... one for you Bill !!!😁😁
Thank you!!! :amazed: :amazed:
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:49 pm

Well Bill, that was what I originally planned, but I decided to put tube either side of the main horn, which meant that the valve twisted.... I thought about what you said and decided to change it. I was able to lose the long brace that was needed before and was not in a good place and so the valve now blows twice as well !!
Thanks Bill !!

Chris
Tbarh
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by Tbarh » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:16 pm

mrdeacon wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:27 am
Chris is that a certain 2g I spot in the 60h?
Is this the "certain" 2G that are used as a Model for a newer certain english made copy? :biggrin:
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:00 pm

Tbarh wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:16 pm
mrdeacon wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:27 am
Chris is that a certain 2g I spot in the 60h?
Is this the "certain" 2G that are used as a Model for a newer certain english made copy? :biggrin:
Nope... that was his other one. 😁
Chris
WGWTR180
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by WGWTR180 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:40 am

FOSSIL wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:49 pm
Well Bill, that was what I originally planned, but I decided to put tube either side of the main horn, which meant that the valve twisted.... I thought about what you said and decided to change it. I was able to lose the long brace that was needed before and was not in a good place and so the valve now blows twice as well !!
Thanks Bill !!

Chris
It really is great that you can do this work yourself! Or a curse depending on how one looks at it. Either way you have a wonderful instrument that works for you.
FOSSIL
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:41 am

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by FOSSIL » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:33 am

Yes Bill, it can be a curse...but very rarely. Just doing it for myself is a relaxation....and you learn. I suspected that the brace on the old design was a bad thing but it had to be there and it had to be where it was. Get rid of it and I have a different valve...much more free and centered.
When mrdeacon sold me the 60H he was very honest and said it was a bad horn....and it was ! I thought I might be able to save it, and here we are a few months on with a great horn. A lot has changed but all the original metal is still there, excepting the leadpipe which is now a 70H pipe.

Chris
JackSchatz
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:08 pm

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by JackSchatz » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:50 pm

I wanted to respond to the question of what Erwin Price was playing. Erwin was my first trombone teacher. Marvelous player. The horn Erwin was playing in the above pictures was a Conn 80H. .522 bore tuning in the slide. The 80H was also made with a flat wrap like the 14H but unlike the 14H which was a duo bore slide , the 80H had a straight bore of .522.
User avatar
imsevimse
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Vintage Conn Bass Trombones - pictures, specifications, characteristics. Who played them?

Post by imsevimse » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:14 pm

JackSchatz wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:50 pm
I wanted to respond to the question of what Erwin Price was playing. Erwin was my first trombone teacher. Marvelous player. The horn Erwin was playing in the above pictures was a Conn 80H. .522 bore tuning in the slide. The 80H was also made with a flat wrap like the 14H but unlike the 14H which was a duo bore slide , the 80H had a straight bore of .522.
Thanks :good:

/Tom
My profile on facebook with new videos from concerts: https://www.facebook.com/tomas.hillerbrant

My webbpage: https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic

"Do your best and then do better" ttf_watermailonman
Post Reply

Return to “Instruments”