King Silver Tone

JLivi

King Silver Tone

Post by JLivi »

One of my buddy's just bought a King Silver Tone trombone today while he was in Cleveland. He stopped in a shop to get his 2b fixed, while on the road, and came across the silver tone. I told him to buy a backup and he ended up with this :amazed:

Does anyone have any information about this horn? Here's what my friend found out with little research. We're not sure how true any of it is.

- if slides have the lions head on them they were made between 1894-1915 by White himself
- dual bore?

Photos:
Last edited by JLivi on Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
BGuttman

Re: King Silver Tone

Post by BGuttman »

Find the site www.hnwhite.com. They have King literature from the H.N. White era of Kings.

The double brace (straight and C-shaped) is the 1910 Patent. I have two horns with that slide brace (High Pitch and Low Pitch) but they predate the curved bell brace. I believe one of mine (the Low Pitch) dates to 1915.

These are pretty small bore horns. The soldered on stockings often make for a somewhat sluggish slide. Friction fit means watch out if you are playing a lot of mutes. I've pushed mine apart at some really uncomfortable times.

Note that Sears also made a Silver Tone trombone, but it doesn't have the curved bell brace and the bell is not silver. There was a trademark suit from this and King lost. Thus was born the Silver Sonic.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

How "low pitch" are the low pitch trombones? Would that need to be cut down to play in a modern setting?

Nice horn though! Lots of research potential.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Low Pitch was just a shade flat. Probably around A=435 rather than 440. I can get better in tune using my High Pitch bell with the Low Pitch slide (and I pull the tuning slide out a bit). The slide action is so bad on it that I don't like to play it much, though.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

My King Silvertone is from 1934 and has been given a modified 2b slide with a Conn receiver to fit the old female receiver on the bell. This horn once belonged to the Scandinavian trombone player Vincent Nilsson. I know the slide was modified instead of the bell section to keep the bell as close as possible to original. The old bell works very well with the replaced slide. This is probably something your friend could do to make the horn a player again. To have a dual bore King slide that fits Conn trombones also gives some ideas. I have tried the slide with an old Conn 6h bell with some success, a dual bore Conn 6h.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Drew A.
Professional bum.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:10 am Is this the same horn? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3536673675
I believe so. I'm not really sure what his plan with the horn is. Turns out he didn't want it as a backup?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Talk to DJ. He if the font of all knowledge on King

Silver tone was the pre lawsuit case for what became the silver sonic , check the hnwhite site and the serial number will give you the year

Return to “Instruments”