"Limited Edition" Conn trombone

CheapNag

"Limited Edition" Conn trombone

Post by CheapNag »

One of my band students has a Conn trombone from a relative with "Limited Edition" engraved on the bell. I'm always curious about how old instruments are and what they're similar to. Does anyone know about this particular line, especially what bore size it might be? It doesn't appear to be too old, has an F attachment and rose brass bell too. I haven't been able to find any information on the internet.

Thanks!
ConnBone18

Re: "Limited Edition" Conn trombone

Post by ConnBone18 »

Do you have photos?

It could be a 52H or 52HL.
I saw one at a music store last year, same engraving: Limited Edition.

Search for photos of 52Hs and compare the f-attachment.
Conn SL2547 slide
Conn 8HT
Conn 52H
Conn 48H Connstellation
Conn 18H Elkhart Coprion Bell (1962) with 0,485" slide
Conn 18H with 0,500" slide
P-Bone
CheapNag

Post by CheapNag »

I think you're right. It does look like the 52 series. Thanks!
CampStar

Post by CampStar »

I own a limited edition Conn 52HL and was skeptical that it was a phony because none I have ever seen has the engraved “Limited Edition” on the bell. It doesn’t have “52HL” engraved anywhere I’ve looked.
Until I saw your remarks I was considering getting rid of it... Now, I don’t know what to do!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

CampStar wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:38 pm I own a limited edition Conn 52HL and was skeptical that it was a phony because none I have ever seen has the engraved “Limited Edition” on the bell. It doesn’t have “52HL” engraved anywhere I’ve looked.
Until I saw your remarks I was considering getting rid of it... Now, I don’t know what to do!
If it plays OK, keep it. The 52H was supposed to be a "basic pro" horn. If nothing but a Shires will do, you are on your own.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JGroves

Post by JGroves »

I know this is an older thread but in case this helps anyone researching "Limited Edition" model Conn Trombone with no other model numbers stamped on it. Here's more details I found out when I called up the Conn-Selmer factory in Elkhart when I recently pick up a used "Limited Edition" conn bone. This one I have was built in 2003 is a large bore tenor .547 and is known as a LE600 Conn Trombone. Conn 52H & HL models went into production in 2008. Given that time line and how the configuration of posts in the F-attachment look to be identical to a 52H set up verses an 88H. It's a safe bet that the LE600 Conn Trombone "Limited Edition" is the predecessor to the 52HL model design. Very limited production as little to no info on "Limited Editions" out there even from the factory which had limited info since it is an out of production model. Hope that helps if you're seeking more info about the Limited Edition Conn Trombone that looks like the current 52H or HL. If you're wondering how it plays not bad at all, if I wasn't fixing it up and planning to resale it in the next few months I'd keep it but it should make a fine horn for a student stepping up to large bore tenor or even a pro that needs an affordable back up horn.
Bensade

Post by Bensade »

There's a 52H listed on shopgoodwill.com now (for next day or so). The horn looks amazingly clean, and as of this writing the bid is at about $350. Considering the going price of this model is in the thousands it may be worth considering for anyone looking for a dual-bore medium to professional instrument. Of course you have to trust what you see (no returns), so ask them questions if you have any.
https://shopgoodwill.com/item/160636350
Last edited by Bensade on Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”