Dream Trombones?

8parktoollover

Re: Dream Trombones?

Post by 8parktoollover »

no but I heard them and they sound amazing. a nice dark solid tone.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

8parktoollover wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:39 am no but I heard them and they sound amazing. a nice dark solid tone.
well that may as well be the players, not the bone. Isn't it?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

Could be but it still seems like a nice horn
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

8parktoollover wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:36 pm Could be but it still seems like a nice horn
They sure look very good!
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
TheTrombone17

Post by TheTrombone17 »

Right now I have a Bach strad 42, but it was made in the 70s back when they were still good horns.
xenethon

Post by xenethon »

I am getting mine done now, should arrive in 2 weeks: B.A.C. Sterling Silver Bell #6 .500/.508 carbon fiber slide, with personalized counterweight and engravings!
joemende27

Post by joemende27 »

xenethon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:51 pm I am getting mine done now, should arrive in 2 weeks: B.A.C. Sterling Silver Bell #6 .500/.508 carbon fiber slide, with personalized counterweight and engravings!
Post some pictures when you get it!
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

I would love to have all M&W trombones some day. Especially their version of a conn 88h.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I really wanted to like the beautiful M&W horns at the ATW, but I couldn't find one that spoke to me. They were immaculate, though.
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Hmm Rath R3F with a nickle slide, rotax valve and red brass bell.
Robert C
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

RConrad wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:15 am Hmm Rath R3F with a nickle slide, rotax valve and red brass bell.
Uuuh, that sounds good!
Bassbonechandler

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:34 am I really wanted to like the beautiful M&W horns at the ATW, but I couldn't find one that spoke to me. They were immaculate, though.
Even if you don't love the way they play, you have to admire the build quality. I had a chance to play someone's independent tis horn at ITF which was awesome. But, not everyone will love them.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Bassbonechandler wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:48 am
harrisonreed wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:34 am I really wanted to like the beautiful M&W horns at the ATW, but I couldn't find one that spoke to me. They were immaculate, though.
Even if you don't love the way they play, you have to admire the build quality. I had a chance to play someone's independent tis horn at ITF which was awesome. But, not everyone will love them.
I had only one M&W so far that I got new in a trade. A great horn for sure, build quality was flawless. To me it played great, but only when I was in top shape.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Totally agree. Something about the aesthetic and the way they did the laqeuer was exquisite.
Bassbonechandler

cozzagiorgi wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:15 am

I had only one M&W so far that I got new in a trade. A great horn for sure, build quality was flawless. To me it played great, but only when I was in top shape.
I feel the same about my greenhoe, it highlights my mistakes quite well :D
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:21 am Uuuh, that sounds good!
I had to think about that one a little bit as I haven't had the chance to play many horns. I like me some red brass and nickle though. Maybe if I get a good engineering position my wife will let me have one. :shuffle:
Robert C
Russjones92

Post by Russjones92 »

If my budget was no object stock horn would be a Douglas Yeo Xeno Bass or the Edwards Pagano. Otherwise I'd have a custom horn built by Yamaha 😉
SwaggyG

Post by SwaggyG »

Late to the party?? Who cares! Olds Super Featherweight, King 3b Silversonic, Yam Ysl-891, Holton Tr169
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I would like someone to build the large bore cousin of a 48H with Electro-D bell, interchangeable trigger and a couple of slides with different bore.

The characteristics I’m looking for are the curiously dark and centred sound at low to medium dynamics, huge projection and stability at high dynamics without getting too woofy. Blending may be tricky though!
xenethon

Post by xenethon »

I said I would put the pictures, here they are; my brand new, B.A.C. custom, STERLING silver bell, .500/.508 carbon-fiber slide, based on Williams #6 (7.75 inches bell), with personalized counterweight (Saturn's ring around the B.A.C. counterweight), custom thumb ring, Paseo handgrip and very personalized engraving :D

The carbon-fiber slide counters some of the brightness of the sterling silver bell, but you could say instead that the sterling silver bell counters the carbon-fiber's deadening effect too. The combination is a beast that can still talk loud but blends in much better at lower volume compared to traditional sterling silver instruments. It will take some time to get used to, this horn has so much personality! :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

Maybe a Butler JJ. I have a Butler outer slide on my 2B and it’s just wonderful.
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

New or vintage is the first question that comes to mind.

When it comes to new two horns come to mind

Rath R3F with the Rotax, Nickel Bell, red turning slide, and yellow brass slide with nickel crook - I think that was parts combo that I played at 2018 ITF and was great. Far beyond my budget.

The second is the Latzsch SL-240 is the one that I really covet. Everything I love about an 88H with the Rotax valve already in place. For half the money of the Rath this would be my first choice.

I'd really consider a Shires Q30 with the traditional valve or the Yamaha Xeno 882 with the close wrap but yellow or gold bell is up for debate on either of these.

If you are talking vintage, I'd love an Elkhart 88H set up with a Rotax valve and removable lead pipe for additional versatility. Essentially the large bore twin to my 79H with the Rotax.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

My dream trombone would play as smooth as gravy and have the meaty tone of a crisp juicy turkey fresh off the Weber layered with the sweet overtones of a freshly baked apple pie.

Happy Thanksgiving.
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

adryalm wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:39 pm Wouldn't it be awesome to own one of our hero's horns?

Maybe Frank Crisafulli's holton? Ralph Sauer's Conn?

Adam
Alessi’s personal Edwards, I wonder if he still has it, now that he’s a Shires artist. Perhaps we’ll see it on classifieds one day?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I had a chance to play Dick Nash's trombone last year. Not only is Dick a wonderful person and a true gentleman (and a trombone genius), his trombone was a dream to play. I'd love to own it just to see if Dick left any spare notes inside, but would be too embarrassed to play it in public! :oops:
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Theres a German seller that has a gorgeous looking 72H with a nickel plated bell.

Beyond that its hard to say what 1 horn I'd like to have.

I'd love to have my 1st 72H i stupidly traded to dj Kennedy.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
tomchall

Post by tomchall »

What are the new M&W, Greenhoe trombones like? They haven't broken the market in UK yet but hopefully M&W will find a dealer in the UK one day.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

tomchall wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:31 am What are the new M&W, Greenhoe trombones like? They haven't broken the market in UK yet but hopefully M&W will find a dealer in the UK one day.
The M&W's are nice. Excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail. Had only large bore tenors so far, excellent Orchestral horns.

Would love to try a bass.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

It is good to see sterling silver bells made. My Edwards with the sterling silver bell is a dream horn.
I hope to get an alto bone someday with a sterling bell.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Hobart

Post by Hobart »

There is a Reynolds Contempora bass out there with an independent Greenhoe setup. I am a sucker for copper bell trombones, I'd get the whole trombone family but with pure copper bells, mainly because I think copper bells look sexy.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Hobart wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:50 pm There is a Reynolds Contempora bass out there with an independent Greenhoe setup. I am a sucker for copper bell trombones, I'd get the whole trombone family but with pure copper bells, mainly because I think copper bells look sexy.
Reynolds Contempora trombones do not have pure copper bells. These bells are a bronze alloy that Reynolds called "Bronze-o-lyte." [Perhaps a variation of Bell Bronze, a very hard alloy that consists of one part tin (20%) to four parts copper (80%)].

http://contemporacorner.com/trombones/contempora-bass/

However, it seems that the Contempora bass trombones had bells with a greater copper content than the Contempora tenor trombones. Hard to verify.

http://contemporacorner.com/features/bronzolyte/

But there is no question that the Contempora bells, whether tenor or bass trombone, have an attractive copperish red color, and that many of these trombones look and play great.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Alessi’s personal Edwards, I wonder if he still has it, now that he’s a Shires artist. Perhaps we’ll see it on classifieds one day?
One of Joe's last prototype Edwards Alessi horns has passed hands from Edwards down through three people I know (maybe I should have bought it). My old roommate has it now, and it's a monster horn especially with a matching mouthpiece of some flavor. Even still, I might choose to play new Shires Alessi Q over that horn; they are that good.

The Edwards only likes to be played a certain way and to achieve a certain sound. If you play exactly that way the sound is a glorious one, but it's just not really for me. The new Shires Q (I haven't gotten a chance to play the other one) felt like exactly what it is- fundamentally a Shires, but one that leans in the direction of the old Edwards.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

Mv2541 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:37 pm

One of Joe's last prototype Edwards Alessi horns has passed hands from Edwards down through three people I know (maybe I should have bought it). My old roommate has it now, and it's a monster horn especially with a matching mouthpiece of some flavor. Even still, I might choose to play new Shires Alessi Q over that horn; they are that good.

The Edwards only likes to be played a certain way and to achieve a certain sound. If you play exactly that way the sound is a glorious one, but it's just not really for me. The new Shires Q (I haven't gotten a chance to play the other one) felt like exactly what it is- fundamentally a Shires, but one that leans in the direction of the old Edwards.
I play one right now! The horn is very sensitive and timbrally flexible, and Joe Alessi's sound is my sound concept, so it works very well!
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

ericcheng2005 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:41 pm
Mv2541 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:37 pm

I play one right now! The horn is very sensitive and timbrally flexible, and Joe Alessi's sound is my sound concept, so it works very well!
I was referring to the fact that this horn was owned and played by Joe himself. The others I have tried have been good, but none quite like that one. I used to joke with the owner that he should leave me that horn if I outlive him.
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

Mv2541 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:46 pm
ericcheng2005 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:41 pm

I was referring to the fact that this horn was owned and played by Joe himself. The others I have tried have been good, but none quite like that one. I used to joke with the owner that he should leave me that horn if I outlive him.
On a tangent about horns owned by pro players, some people specifically try to find and buy horns owned by pro players, because "the molecules of the material of the horn are set to give a good resonance". Would you say this has any credibility?
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Ummmmmm I seriously doubt they can do anything on a molecular level. Mouthpiece sizes are usually measured to roughly the 10th of a mm or so, which is nowhere close.

The thing is, if a top player likes the horn it's usually for a reason right? I'm sure Joe spent a lot of time dialing in the horn in prototype stage to get it where it is, and Edwards is usually pretty consistent.
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

:trebleclef: 4
Mv2541 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:21 pm Ummmmmm I seriously doubt they can do anything on a molecular level. Mouthpiece sizes are usually measured to roughly the 10th of a mm or so, which is nowhere close.

The thing is, if a top player likes the horn it's usually for a reason right? I'm sure Joe spent a lot of time dialing in the horn in prototype stage to get it where it is, and Edwards is usually pretty consistent.
Their essence embeds it's self in the spirit of the horn, and gathers strength from each pro that plays it. I went on a whole rant on anorher thread that explains this 🙄
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Amconk

Post by Amconk »

Working on building mine! Right now it’s a Shires SS1 sterling silver bell, German brass seamed tuning slide, and switch back and forth between a straight neck and a standard rotor. I’d like to try a trubore on it. An MK42 nickel leadpipe finishes it up. I also have a TW47 slide, but it’s a bit heavy, especially with the straight neckpipe. I’d like to try a butler carbon fiber outer to lighten it up some.
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Hobart wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:50 pm There is a Reynolds Contempora bass out there with an independent Greenhoe setup. I am a sucker for copper bell trombones, I'd get the whole trombone family but with pure copper bells, mainly because I think copper bells look sexy.
I’m the one selling that horn on behalf of my friend. If I could afford it I’d definitely pick it up as a backup bass.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

Yeah, I'd probably get the Butler C12 bass with the screwbell option. I'd order an indy Latzsch carbon fiber valveset and have it sent to Butler to incorporate.

And probably a really, really nice 'small' bore cimbasso.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-present)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

ihomi wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:12 pm Hello, I’d like a Jupiter JTB720VR Trombone. This is one of the best options for all Trombone players.
Me too. But I can't discover how I kand buys one? Where can I find?
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:47 am
ihomi wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:12 pm Hello, I’d like a Jupiter JTB720VR Trombone. This is one of the best options for all Trombone players.
:wink: I see what you are doing here :-)
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:47 am
I've been wondering for a while now what I could get to enhance my meagre collection and now I know!! Now I just need to find a place that has them readily available....
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

"I have a dream ..." (Martin Luther King, 1963). ;)
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

RoscoTrombone wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:29 pm I've been wondering for a while now what I could get to enhance my meagre collection and now I know!! Now I just need to find a place that has them readily available....
If only such a place existed!
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

ZiggyAzalea wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:55 pm If you had an unlimited budget, what 1 trombone would you buy?

All bets are off, whether it's a vintage jazz horn or a top of the line concert trombone, if you could have any one tenor or bass, which would you choose?
Hmmmmm here are the ones I'd consider:

1. Shires large bore- TII7RYXLWT7 bell, TW47 slide, TDS tuning slide, Twin Valve, 2SSS leadpipe
2. Rath R4F- red brass bell, red brass TS, nickel slide, 5B bronze leadpipe
3. Thein Belcanto, Universal II, Custom
4. Edwards B502I- yellow brass bell
5. Jurgen Voigt J-711 "Fire Metal" alto
6. Slokar alto
7. Shires alto- gold brass bell
Last edited by ericcheng2005 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

I have a Schilke/Greenhoe Indie TIS bass and an Edwards B502 and really I don't know of another bass I like to have. Maybe a Butler bass.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

I have a set of Shires that are really good, and a Yamaha 613H when I want darker sound, and a good Bach 36. So I have pretty much what I want. I really good alto would be nice but really I don't need it! Buy I do have a Yamaha 421G bass that plays very nice with an Edwards slide. I love to find a second bell section and have it set up for a double valve section, I think this would make a nice commercial horn!.
11561man

Post by 11561man »

I'd say a pre-Mt. Vernon era Bach 16. Solid and classy. :good:
"Integrity comes at a cost"
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

11561man wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:40 am I'd say a pre-Mt. Vernon era Bach 16. Solid and classy. :good:
Evidently people and play these, but I never could. I have tried several times. Cool to hear someone who considers that a dream horn.

For me, I don't really have one...but maybe something based around a Bach 36-42.

Return to “Instruments”