Two Questions

Savio

Two Questions

Post by Savio »

My 14 years old student did buy a Jupiter xo with in line system. Is it an ok trombone?
Question two.
I got a free Jim bao from a repair man. It's also in-line with rose brass bell. Don't have time to try it before late tomorrow. Is this one ok ? Look like a king clone.
Leif
DougHulme

Re: Two Questions

Post by DougHulme »

Leif

Yes the Jim Bao is a copy. There is a thread recently about them on here. They are OK and play moderately well. I got one for one of my students but it wont be as good as a second hand quality horn like a real King, even one thats well used. I also get the feeling these Jim bao's will not make old age but for what you pay, they are good value.

There is also a current thread here on Jupiter Xo's (albeit tenors). They are nice horns of a professional quality that play well. they are not chinese (Taiwan), they are made very well and they play well. They bear comparison to any profesional instrument you can name and dont carry such a high price tag. You would have to go bespoke horn to get better.
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

I like the XO horns... if it's one of the first ones, they're a little heavy but have a nice core to the sound and good response. The newer models (last few years or so) are a bit lighter and don't hurt so much to hold for a long time. Good horns.
Savio

Post by Savio »

Yes ExZacLee, the XO bass is wonderful. Good slide, good triggers and feels solid. My student is happy. The Jinbao isn't that bad, but as Doug told; I wonder how long it will last? Strange, but my old Conn trombones still are in good condition. They are about 70 years old! They didn't make crap back in the old days, thats for sure :good:
What Im looking at now is a Wessex bass trombone. Chris Stearn had a finger involved in the development of that one? Im really curious and think about getting one. But then of course, its the 60h I use most of the time. And I have the Holton in case I need two triggers. Maybe save the money for a new car :biggrin:

Leif
MahlerMusic

Post by MahlerMusic »

Savio wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:52 pm They are about 70 years old! They didn't make crap back in the old days, thats for sure :good:

Leif
I'm sure there was tons of crap back then, worse then the crap today. The crap just did not survive till now and was forgotten about. Hell, it's hard enough finding information on the good horns back in the day. There is no hope in finding information on the corner shop trombone from brand X that sold to kids and the guy/gal starting out.

Anyone back in the day would be happy with the crap we have today. I figured back in the day the crap was not sold internationally and people did not have access to reviews and feedback that could kill a brand if you made crap. :cry: okay I'm done my RANT!
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

MahlerMusic wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:26 pmI'm sure there was tons of crap back then, worse then the crap today. The crap just did not survive till now and was forgotten about. Hell, it's hard enough finding information on the good horns back in the day. There is no hope in finding information on the corner shop trombone from brand X that sold to kids and the guy/gal starting out.

Anyone back in the day would be happy with the crap we have today. I figured back in the day the crap was not sold internationally and people did not have access to reviews and feedback that could kill a brand if you made crap. :cry: okay I'm done my RANT!
Before Asia, the nexus of low-cost instrument manufacture was central Europe (primarily what was then Czechoslovakia). Lots of stencils sold here in US. The sad part is that some of those instruments were actually pretty well made from a craftsmanship/fit and finish standpoint. The valves worked, the metal was solid (if a might thick), the solder joints had solder in them, etc., but they were usually "peashooters" that just weren't what was needed here in the US.
mrpillow

Post by mrpillow »

MahlerMusic wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:26 pm There is no hope in finding information on the corner shop trombone from brand X that sold to kids and the guy/gal starting out.

.... I figured back in the day the crap was not sold internationally ...
We have a few hundred examples and countless thousands of trade catalogs and other ephemera at the National Music Museum that can actually offer quite a bit of insight into the "corner shop" trombones from the turn of the 20th century. As John says, the vast majority of them were made either in Bohemia/Austria/Czechoslovakia or a few various French workshops. For a long long time, probably 75%+ of the trombones played in the "United States" came from far across the ocean.
Organologique et plus!
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

The 'flow' was not two way even when we did finally teach you how to make decent instruments! When I was a kid you had to 'smuggle' Conn trombones into the country via British Airways pilots, we were not allowed to buy them here! (UK).

Return to “Instruments”