Getzen Custom Reserve

Klaud9

Getzen Custom Reserve

Post by Klaud9 »

Does anyone own one of these horns? I'm particularly interested in the 4047DS. According to the Getzen website, it was designed to be the best version of the Bach.
Fafner

Re: Getzen Custom Reserve

Post by Fafner »

I assumed Getzen Custom Reserve was a whiskey aged in a trombone.
MahlerMusic

Post by MahlerMusic »

The 4047DS Custom Reserve is the first new Getzen trombone in more than a decade. Three years in the making, designed from the ground up just for you. It's not just the trombone you want, but the trombone you deserve.
I’m fortunate to be friends with lots of trombone players with a wide variety of equipment both new and old. One such friend knew about the 4047DS project and offered me a decades old leadpipe to test on the horn. Man did that pipe play well. The second the brass leadpipe slid into the slide, it was an “Aha!” moment. This was the final piece of the puzzle that made the 4047DS something special.
http://www.getzen.com/gazette/2011/12/1 ... m-reserve/

Man, I love marketing. The Old days had limited options so you just had your pick of Bach or Conn. We now have so many options yet marketing wise chasing the old stuff is what sells. I'm sure the 4047DS is a fine horn but if someone is after a Bach sound... get a Bach.

But like always play before you pay if you can.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Based on Christan's track record, I'd guess that this is a very fine trombone.

"Best version of Bach" — perhaps not. [An impossible comparison, in any case. Which Bach do you compare it to?]

Authentic Getzen 4047DS ? — for sure.

Apparently they've been around for 7 or 8 years, so some TC members must have played them. Worth the $4,000+ retail price? :idk:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Good horns. Go play one if you want to try it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
adryalm

Post by adryalm »

I had bought one of these four years ago. I had tried one a couple months before that was awesome, mine was a bit of a dud.
Did it sound OK? Yes but nothing special.
Did it play like a Bach 42? Not really

I ended up trying seven or eight new 42s (most were really good, by the way) and bought the one I loved. Haven't looked back since. Just my $.02
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

The valve on my Edwards and on that Getzen are the same and that valve plays great. But for the price of the Getzen you can go to the Edwards factory and be fitted to an Edwards with traditional valve. I tried the Getzen and ended up getting fit with an Edwards. Of course, I live about an hour away so the travel costs were negligible. Keep in mind the Edwards with traditional valve comes with a single harmonic pillar and interchangeable leadpipe while the Getzen does not.
Bloo

Post by Bloo »

Played the 4047DS, it was lent to me by a collector.
It's a fine horn, but it wasn't anything special. Very well made, as are almost all Getzen horns. 10/10 slide and rotor action.
I didn't much care for it compared to other Getzen horns (my favorite of those being the 3047 AF). Most likely cause being that I don't really like the Bach 42 either.
I'm partial to vintage Conn horns, and new Getzens.
rjrberg79

Post by rjrberg79 »

I went to LaFayette music near Denver for the express purpose of playing the Getzen 4047DS. I had played one at a Music Educator's convention and thought I liked it enough to pursue. I have played a King 5B for almost 40 years. The Getzen was dull will little ring and sparkle. I took my own horn to compare. After about 20 minutes, I was ready to give up the hunt. The dealer suggested a Bach 47. I wasn't interested in a Bach... until I played it. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to spend with it, but that horn sang and upper range popped. That Getzen 4047DS was not what I had hoped.
Klaud9

Post by Klaud9 »

Good points, everyone. It does seem like if you're willing to pay $4200 for a 4047DS, you might as well just get the Edwards T350-CR-E for the same price but with all of the available options.

Return to “Instruments”