Franken Ideas?

blap73

Franken Ideas?

Post by blap73 »

In my fiddling about with trombones I've ended up with two spare bell sections. A Conn 18H Director Bell and tuning slide, and a King 606 complete bell section. Should be good starting point for some kind of Franken project(s). What can you all come up with? Over the shoulder bugle? Vase? Lamp base? Neither is pristine, but are playable.
Finetales

Re: Franken Ideas?

Post by Finetales »

Step 1. Put a valve on the 606.
Step 2. Make it so that it can either be a normal attachment (why not G?), or you can take off the attachment tuning slide and attach the 18H bell (cut and curled to fit and play in tune through the attachment) to get a double bell trombone. (This idea was shamelessly stolen from Bruce Colling's double bell Rath, though his trombone has 2 valves and the 2nd bell slots into the 2nd valve. Of course if you put 2 valves on the 606 it would be at least 50% cooler.)
Step 3. Put a mute in the second bell and switch between the two or something.

Optional Step 4. Get the 606 bell cut, get a swanky compact screw bell travel case, and use it as a beater travel horn.
blap73

Post by blap73 »

Well, note I don't have spare *slides*. Only bells!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Finetales wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:09 pm ...bell (cut and curled to fit and play in tune through the attachment) to get a double bell trombone. (This idea was shamelessly stolen from Bruce Colling's double bell Rath, though his trombone has 2 valves and the 2nd bell slots into the 2nd valve. Of course if you put 2 valves on the 606 it would be at least 50% cooler.)
John Marcellus did exactly that in the '70's when I was studying with him.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Kjong3545

Post by Kjong3545 »

If the 18h is the Coprion bell, I highly recommend putting a Conn slide on it. Not quite a Frankenbone, but a 4h, 6h, 48h, pretty much any of the nicer small bore slides with a Coprion bell is actually a really nice combo for running around jazz gigs.
blap73

Post by blap73 »

No it's a late 18H - brass bell. Odd how Conn numbered it the same when it sure isn't the same.
Kjong3545

Post by Kjong3545 »

blap73 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:33 am No it's a late 18H - brass bell. Odd how Conn numbered it the same when it sure isn't the same.
Agreed, it annoyed me quite a bit when I was looking for a Coprion a while back. Honestly Conn’s whole reusing model numbers thing never made sense to me.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

I frankenboned my 1954 20H Conquest and turned it into super charged 4H. On the bell section I reversed the tuning slide and feathered the leading edges of the male tuning slide tubes. On the slide section I replaced the square Conn slide crook with a curved King 2B slide crook with light weight guard and bored out Amado.

It’s a great lead and jazz axe.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

My big bore Helmut Voigt alto (bell 19 cm) with a shortened 36 Bach slide. This combination work fine. Better than with the original Voigt slide. I removed the corks in the Bach slide and added springs.
nelson31

Post by nelson31 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:39 pm
Finetales wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:09 pm ...bell (cut and curled to fit and play in tune through the attachment) to get a double bell trombone. (This idea was shamelessly stolen from Bruce Colling's double bell Rath, though his trombone has 2 valves and the 2nd bell slots into the 2nd valve. Of course if you put 2 valves on the 606 it would be at least 50% cooler.)
John Marcellus did exactly that in the '70's when I was studying with him.

I saw Doc Marcellus play that horn in 2017 or 18, at the Florida State Trombone Day. What a treat!
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

A boccin / Dragon bell for a pbone
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
blap73

Post by blap73 »

Given I have bell sections (and no slides)...
a couple thoughts - wonder what a Natural Trumpet with a large bell would be like?
Or make a Baroque Trumpet...
Pick up a trumpet mouthpipe, some brass tubing, a trumpet crook, more tubing, trombone neckpipe, tuning slide, and bell.

Return to “Instruments”