Slide Lock

whitbey

Slide Lock

Post by whitbey »

I have noticed a couple trombonist on YouTube that have removed the slide lock from their horns.
The three I have seen all are newer horns that one would not expect to have an alignment issue.
Any idea why?
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Burgerbob

Re: Slide Lock

Post by Burgerbob »

On some horns there is a noticeable difference in response when you take off the slide lock (similar to removing the rubber stopper on the end).

I think it's more pronounced on higher-end, well-made instruments.

I had a Shires slide a while back that played so much better without the slide lock that I didn't use it for quite some time.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I agree with BurgerBob on this one. Removing the slide lock ring can change the response and articulation of a trombone. As many have stated before, EVERYTHING has an impact on the sound.....rubber bumpers, size of crook guards, different types of water keys, etc....

I played without a slide lock for a couple of years in college. The reason I took the lock off was completely different though......I forgot to release the slide lock on an important entrance during an orchestra concert! Not only did I miss a couple of notes, I rammed the mouthpiece quite severely into my chops. I was rather spooked by the event and was very hesitant to put a slide lock back on my trombones for quite some time.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

I had a teacher who removed his slide locks so that he'd never have the problem Brian mentioned - he was too worried that it would get in the way if he forgot to unlock before an entrance.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I’m telling you…..I am still spooked by it almost forty years later. I always put my instrument up two or three measures (on extended rests) before the other musicians and I always move my slide out and in to make sure the lock is not on.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

I'm more concerned about my slide moving around in the case without a slide lock. That's why I prefer to use one.

I have noticed the difference in response with leather hand guards. I used the same LT42 slide on a few of my 42 bells and then removed the guards and played those same bells. There's a noticeable difference IMO in terms of overall response and upper register response. So I opt to do without. Thankfully, my sweat isn't highly corrosive and I used guards more for comfort rather than surface protection.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

Just remove the lock on my 50B2, wow! The bell rings and vibrates a lot more. Response is much faster. I like it!
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

You do realize the whole rubber bumper/slide lock thing was a joke started on the old trombone list years ago... That being said, if the crow feather helps you fly, its MAGIC go for it.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

ssking2b wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:16 am You do realize the whole rubber bumper/slide lock thing was a joke started on the old trombone list years ago... That being said, if the crow feather helps you fly, its MAGIC go for it.
Having picked up a Yamaha YBL-830 recently, I read the full writeup about it, and watched the video where they compare it to the predecessor, YBL-613H. The main changes they note are longer travel on the second valve tuning slide and valve rotation direction. However, also make it a point to note that changing the cork barrels from single piece to multiple piece, and changing the slide brace material from nickel silver to yellow brass was done to improve the sound.

I guess every little bit counts?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Several years ago at a trombone workshop at an outside band camp, The conversation was to find if a horn played better without the rubber stopper. Me and my horn somehow became the test pig. Played with it on and off several times. Everyone voted what was better and if the rubber was on or off. More votes were for off then on, but only by a few. After a while the rubber tip got dropped under the deck. I decided then that played better off as that was the only choice left.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

My 2 cents: it’s not so much whether it makes a difference to the sound produced. It (more likely) affects the feedback to the player, which in turn affects the sound. It may be an instance of correlation without causation, but if you feel it helps, then it helps. The placebo effect is real. Everything makes a difference.

And yes, I removed the bumper from the end of my slide. I think it helps.

I haven’t tried removing the slide lock to test it out. Years ago, however, I removed a slide lock because the tab was bent and made a clicking sound. So yes, it made a difference: my horn didn’t click every time I was near 1st position. It made a difference. No click = no annoyance = better performance = better sound. Performance = potential - distraction.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

The rubber bumper definitely makes a difference. It slides less on a hard floor.

The slide lock does too. I'm more likely to miss an entrance if it's locked and I forget to unlock it.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:17 pm The rubber bumper definitely makes a difference. It slides less on a hard floor.

The slide lock does too. I'm more likely to miss an entrance if it's locked and I forget to unlock it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: this pretty well sums it up!
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

You all can laugh if you want, but I can feel a difference with both. It's subtle, but it's there.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

GabrielRice wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:00 pm You all can laugh if you want, but I can feel a difference with both. It's subtle, but it's there.
That's what she said!

Sorry, it was too easy. I'll show myself out.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The slide lock is for when you put it in your case, or on the trombone stand. As soon as it's in your hands, you unlock it and make that a habit.

There you go. No more missed entrances.

As for the response, yeah I bet it does have an effect. For me it would not be worth it, knowing the slide will be flopping around in the case rather than secure against the bumpers.
TomRiker

Post by TomRiker »

I decided to do an experiment and tried playing both of my horns with and without the slide lock. I found the results interesting. The 36 (without the f attachment) has a regular weight slide and I prefered it without the slide lock. In general I found the horn a bit more responsive without the slide lock. The Edwards slide that I use with 42BO bell does not have over-sleeves. It is also a .547/.562 dual bore slide. On that horn I didn't notice any responsiveness improvements without the slide lock and it almost felt like I lost a little bit of focus. On that horn I prefer the slide lock. Is it all placebo? No idea but from now on that is how I intend to play those horns. One with and one without the slide lock.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

I'm considering replacing my slide lock with one custom made of light weight carbon fiber.
The water key assembly will also be replaced with carbon fiber, including its heavy steel spring.
These changes to the mass of the horn should make me play like Urbie Greene.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

If removing the mass of the slide lock is a big deal, what about the mass of the player's hand?

Am I getting something the rest of you don't get because I have small hands and thin fingers?

I've seen trombone players with hands like canned hams. That must be what's holding them back.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Instruments”