Jazz book?

How and what to teach and learn.
Bassbonebabe

Jazz book?

Post by Bassbonebabe »

I'm entering my 3rd year as a jazz musician in high school; I played one as a trombone 3 and this year and next as a bass. I have nothing to play over the summer and I'm looking for trombone (preferably bass) jazz books. I'm looking to expand my improvisation skill and overall jazz repertoire. Suggestions? I'd be okay to use a tenor trombone one but a bass would be preferred as that's what I'll be playing. Thanks !
A male highschool bass trombonist from a family of brass and woodwind musicians
BGuttman

Re: Jazz book?

Post by BGuttman »

Get a "Real Book" (we used to call them Fake Books in the Bad Old Days). Learn to read treble clef in C. Basically, if the sheet has 3rd space C on it you would play C one line above the bass staff. If you really want to change the tessitura you can read it down an octave from that: 3rd space treble C is 2nd space Bass C. The Real Book has chords so you can try improvising. Being able to read treble clef lead lines is a good skill to have as a jazz musician.

If you want to improvise over backing tracks, check out Band in a Box.

Also, keep your chops up by playing in a Community Band if one is near you.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Bob McChesney has a new book out: Harmonic Dexterity. Check it out on FB.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I've had success with the Jim Snidero tenor and bass trombone etude books. They're a little overpriced if you ask me, but there is some good stuff in there.

Most importantly, if you want to improve your improvisational skills then memorize all 12 major scales in two octaves, since you're playing bass. Once you've done that, memorize your dorian and mixolydian scales.

Not sure if you need this, but for your reference:

Major Scale
Mixolydian (b7) - 5th mode of the major scale (i.e. Bb major scale playing F to F)
Dorian (b3 & b7) - 2nd mode of the major scale (i.e. Bb major scale playing C to C)
*you can also start pairing these together as ii-V7-I's (Cm7 - F7 - BbM7)

I'm not which way you learn best, but I laid out a few options to approach scales. Once you've learned those, then tackle arpeggios and scale patterns. And of course, transcribe anything you like listening to. Not exclusive to jazz.

Good luck in your practice.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Bassbonebabe

Post by Bassbonebabe »

BGuttman wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:36 pm Get a "Real Book" (we used to call them Fake Books in the Bad Old Days). Learn to read treble clef in C. Basically, if the sheet has 3rd space C on it you would play C one line above the bass staff. If you really want to change the tessitura you can read it down an octave from that: 3rd space treble C is 2nd space Bass C. The Real Book has chords so you can try improvising. Being able to read treble clef lead lines is a good skill to have as a jazz musician.

If you want to improvise over backing tracks, check out Band in a Box.

Also, keep your chops up by playing in a Community Band if one is near you.
I'll try this!! My sister used to have a Real Book I'll see if I can get ahold of it and try that
Bassbonebabe

Post by Bassbonebabe »

Bach5G wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:00 pm Bob McChesney has a new book out: Harmonic Dexterity. Check it out on FB.
I'll go check it out right now
Bassbonebabe

Post by Bassbonebabe »

JLivi wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:48 pm I've had success with the Jim Snidero tenor and bass trombone etude books. They're a little overpriced if you ask me, but there is some good stuff in there.

Most importantly, if you want to improve your improvisational skills then memorize all 12 major scales in two octaves, since you're playing bass. Once you've done that, memorize your dorian and mixolydian scales.

Not sure if you need this, but for your reference:

Major Scale
Mixolydian (b7) - 5th mode of the major scale (i.e. Bb major scale playing F to F)
Dorian (b3 & b7) - 2nd mode of the major scale (i.e. Bb major scale playing C to C)
*you can also start pairing these together as ii-V7-I's (Cm7 - F7 - BbM7)

I'm not which way you learn best, but I laid out a few options to approach scales. Once you've learned those, then tackle arpeggios and scale patterns. And of course, transcribe anything you like listening to. Not exclusive to jazz.

Good luck in your practice.
Thank you! I do know my scales two octaves already as it's basically part of auditioning as a bass at my school :D . I know a few blues scales and how to make major scales into them but I'll work on the rest !
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Transcribing is the absolute best thing you can do and you don't need a book.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
afugate

Post by afugate »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 pm Transcribing is the absolute best thing you can do and you don't need a book.
^^^^^ This! :good:

--Andy in OKC
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

afugate wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:21 am
Doug Elliott wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 pm Transcribing is the absolute best thing you can do and you don't need a book.
^^^^^ This! :good:

--Andy in OKC
And you don’t need to write it down. Listen and play works. And quit reading exercises. Make your own up and play them by ear. Gradually you will just know where the “next note” is.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”