Bousfield Teaching Talk

How and what to teach and learn.
VJOFan

Bousfield Teaching Talk

Post by VJOFan »

I’m not sure where or why I first saw this but I think it just was a suggestion on my You Tube feed.

Anyway, among the bits of advice he gives I found his bit on articulation (specifically at about 6:15 in) to be quite interesting.

He uses a lot of the tongue to articulate.

In the practice room I experimented with not making my tongue do what I usually do to get the classic “tip” articulation. With a neutral, relaxed tongue, more tongue surface did make contact. The resulting sound wasn’t that much different (better) but everything felt easier. I could get a good result with less effort.

More interesting to me is that letting the tongue go more on autopilot really improved the ease and clarity of my double tongue.

While Bousfield is just describing what he does and not giving instructions on how to, for me, it meant not purposely using the tongue muscle to make any arch to articulate. That keeps my tongue more relaxed and makes playing easier.

What in the video resonates (or not) for you?

W
blast

Re: Bousfield Teaching Talk

Post by blast »

What resonates for me is that is the conservatoire where I teach !!!
Ian was in last week.... it was nice to see him.

Chris
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

The articulation. I’ve been concentrating on “Tu” and, like Ian, that’s not what I naturally do.
torobone

Post by torobone »

I thought the funniest thing was his age range: 12 to 20. I know a lot of older players who could benefit from his messages, especially comeback players.
Martin Hubel
Tenors: Yamaha 891Z, 354, 697Z (on loan)
Symphony tenors: 1972 Bach 42B, Yamaha 882 GOR (on loan)
Basses: 2011 Yamaha 830 Xeno, 1942 NY Bach 50B
Alto: 1980 Bach 39
Lidl Bass Trumpet (on loan)
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

torobone wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:09 am I thought the funniest thing was his age range: 12 to 20. I know a lot of older players who could benefit from his messages, especially comeback players.
I didn't notice the intended age range.
I've been playing for 39 years and still was reminded of some important truths I sometimes slack on (his little breathing thing is great) and heard a couple of things to make me think about what I do.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”