Efficient Practicing - Trombone & Bass Guitar

How and what to teach and learn.
RMCarson

Efficient Practicing - Trombone & Bass Guitar

Post by RMCarson »

Any bass guitarists out there?

I would appreciate any thoughts on how to incorporate practice regimens for trombone and bass guitar.
lauriet

Re: Efficient Practicing - Trombone & Bass Guitar

Post by lauriet »

Hi,
I played Bass guitar, and have switched to Trombone.
I played Bass in Rock bands were you pretty much played by ear. My goal with Trombone is to become
competant reading music, hoping that learning to read will spill over to Bass playing.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

RMCarson wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:24 pm Any bass guitarists out there?

I would appreciate any thoughts on how to incorporate practice regimens for trombone and bass guitar.
Do you have a specific issue in mind? I find the bass gtr informs the the tbn and vice versa. As an example I bought the Phil Wilson "Chord Studies" tbn book to aid my bass gtr studies when I was taking a long break from the horn. Also an Abe Most book which is now out of print. Currently on both instruments I'm enjoying and getting benefits from "15 Approach Note Enclosure Exercises for Jazz Musicians (Bass Clef)" by Chad Lefkowitz-Brown.
On the bass gtr it's natural to try to find efficient LH finger patterns, and this encourages me to do the same on the tbn, opening up alternate positions, and a concept of least movement, which is not always easy.
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

I started on tenor trombone and then learned bass guitar. Later in life I dropped the bass to focus on bone after over 15 years off. Now I've switched to bass trombone and am thinking of grabbing a 4 string bass for fun.

I think taking a look at cello duets might work as motivation to make your practice more efficient on both. You could play each part on each instrument and therefore have a duet with yourself. Just have to be able to record.

Here is one for reference:

Return to “Teaching & Learning”