Leather hand grips - are they really worth it?

ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Hello everyone,
For awhile now I've been contemplating maybe trying to buy some leather hand grips for my tenor trombone and maybe my bass. I notice that while I am playing (weather I'm nervous about it or not) My hands tend to sweat a lot. I'm wondering if that could be potentially harmful to my trombones? I'm willing to make the investment if they will protect my horns from damage.
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Zach
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Some people have very acidic sweat and others don't.  If you are already eating through the lacquer then a leather guard may be a good idea.  I know of people who have actually eaten through the metal on the cork barrels (I'm not one of them, thank heavens).

The nice thing about a leather guard is you can take it off if you don't like it, so if you think you need one you could certainly try.
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

I used one leather guard on my large bore tenor, more for comfort than to protect the horn's finish. I use a non-conventional left hand grip (slide brace between my middle and ring fingers) and the guard gives me a little padding for my fingers.
ttf_Horn Builder

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

Problem with leather guards, (even the plastic lined ones) is they absorb the moisture (sweat) and hold it on the instrument. You play merrily away for years (sometimes) thinking, "My horns fine, I have guards". Meanwhile, the sweat is eating it's way into your horn.

So, either don't use them, and wipe the horn down every time you play, or use them, and run the risk of the horn pitting under the guard...

M
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I've got a couple sets, free to whoever wants them. Came off Shires .547 and Conn 88H slides.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Quote from: Ellrod on Apr 24, 2017, 03:10PMI've got a couple sets, free to whoever wants them.

PM sent!
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Thanks for all the great replies so far! Really appreciated!
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

I used leather grips for one or both hands as well as a neck guard for years, didn't ever have any problem with them absorbing sweat, and when they did a little bit, it would not go through the layer of anti-moisture mesh between the leather and velvet.

However, I would not recommend using anything that doesn't have that layer of mesh in the middle. A friend of mine had leather grips that somebody had made for him, without any extra lining. We took them off at some point at a rehearsal break only to discover a very thick, crusty layer of dark verdigris...
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: Horn Builder on Apr 24, 2017, 03:02PMProblem with leather guards, (even the plastic lined ones) is they absorb the moisture (sweat) and hold it on the instrument. You play merrily away for years (sometimes) thinking, "My horns fine, I have guards". Meanwhile, the sweat is eating it's way into your horn.

So, either don't use them, and wipe the horn down every time you play, or use them, and run the risk of the horn pitting under the guard...

M
SO TRUE.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

My system is (at times) very acidic. I`ve taken all the lacquer off a hand grip of a Bach 16M in one 3 hour gig.
Some times they are needed
ttf_Geordie

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Don't forget the contact point with the neck for some people/bones. Conn sell clear plastic tubes that can be cut to size for neck protection. I did four horns from one pack, even if one tube is for a handslide. Could not find suitable clear pipe in hardware store.
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

I've used leather specialties guards on my horns for over 20 years.  My sweat isn't very acidic and I don't play in too many extreme environments. I taken them off occasionally and I have no nasty verdigris or any real buildup. A little dirt, but nothing too bad.  So, it really does vary.  I gave up on the right hand grip almost immediately. I don't like that much at all.  I like a left hand grip to make the horn a little softer to hold.  Feels nice.  I like the neckguard for the pencil holder.  Never seems to cover enough to stop me from getting green stuff on my collar from my unlacquered horns.  If they disappeared tomorrow, it wouldn't bug me that much, but I do prefer to have that left hand one.  I haven't bothered to pick up one for my latest horn, and that has been almost 5 years now, so that tells you how much I prioritize these.

Worth it? For minimal investment, I've gotten my money's worth. Necessary? Naw,  but nice enough.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I played an 88h for 35 years, and eventually had to have the braces and cork barrels replaced because of pitting. My sweat isn't acidic, but there's a lot of it, especially since I used this horn under the lights performing a lot. So the new pieces got leather guards. I also use leather guards because some horns leave my hands black. This is especially true with older horns where the lacquer is worn off and you're touching raw nickel or nickel silver.
ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: Geordie on Apr 25, 2017, 08:04AMDon't forget the contact point with the neck for some people/bones. Conn sell clear plastic tubes that can be cut to size for neck protection. I did four horns from one pack, even if one tube is for a handslide. Could not find suitable clear pile in hardware store.

I definitely have to use this protection from neck.  I was losing lacquer.  My hand points seem to remain ok.  (Now it occurs to me one of the trombones I play doesn't have a neck guard.  I'll need to see how it's holding up.)
ttf_kfdz277

Post by ttf_kfdz277 »

I don't want to diverge the topic too much, but I heard of someone putting acetone on the cork barrels of a silver Bach 16 and it came out with a very grippy texture. Anyone know something about this?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: kfdz277 on Apr 25, 2017, 04:59PMI don't want to diverge the topic too much, but I heard of someone putting acetone on the cork barrels of a silver Bach 16 and it came out with a very grippy texture. Anyone know something about this?

Acetone will either remove or attack the lacquer.  If it attacks the lacquer, it will create a very rough surface.  Sometimes wiping acetone on and letting it evaporate will result in a reticulated lacquer (think of the surface of a dry mud flat).  Lots of cracks and crevices to create the "grippy" surface.
ttf_kfdz277

Post by ttf_kfdz277 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 25, 2017, 07:40PMAcetone will either remove or attack the lacquer.  If it attacks the lacquer, it will create a very rough surface.  Sometimes wiping acetone on and letting it evaporate will result in a reticulated lacquer (think of the surface of a dry mud flat).  Lots of cracks and crevices to create the "grippy" surface.

It's much like the second scenario you described. The horn was silver plated though, does Bach lacquer over their silver plate?
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: elmsandr on Apr 25, 2017, 08:11AMI've used leather specialties guards on my horns for over 20 years.  My sweat isn't very acidic and I don't play in too many extreme environments. I taken them off occasionally and I have no nasty verdigris or any real buildup. A little dirt, but nothing too bad.  So, it really does vary.  I gave up on the right hand grip almost immediately. I don't like that much at all.  I like a left hand grip to make the horn a little softer to hold.  Feels nice.  I like the neckguard for the pencil holder.  Never seems to cover enough to stop me from getting green stuff on my collar from my unlacquered horns.  If they disappeared tomorrow, it wouldn't bug me that much, but I do prefer to have that left hand one.  I haven't bothered to pick up one for my latest horn, and that has been almost 5 years now, so that tells you how much I prioritize these.

Worth it? For minimal investment, I've gotten my money's worth. Necessary? Naw,  but nice enough.

Cheers,
Andy

My experience is the same. My system is not acidic, so I don't have a problem with gunk building up under the leather. My 34B is hard to hold, and the leather grip keeps it from sliding off my palm. Avoids the need for a Bullet Brace or the equivalent.

Jerry Walker
ttf_john jenkins

Post by ttf_john jenkins »

I use black Wilson tennis racquet grip tape -- the one with the adhesive strip on the back. I purchase it from Wal-Mart and I use it on all of my trombone. It's inexpensive (less than $3), very comfortable, provides a great grip, and looks like leather from a distance. Also, I can wrap two slides with one pack. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilson-Sporting-Goods-Cushion-Pro-Replacement-Racket-Grip-Black/20703334#about-item
ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Quote from: john jenkins on Jun 02, 2017, 06:31PMI use black Wilson tennis racquet grip tape -- the one with the adhesive strip on the back. I purchase it from Wal-Mart and I use it on all of my trombone. It's inexpensive (less than $3), very comfortable, provides a great grip, and looks like leather from a distance. Also, I can wrap two slides with one pack. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilson-Sporting-Goods-Cushion-Pro-Replacement-Racket-Grip-Black/20703334#about-item

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I use the leather specialty grips on all my horns. They really work well!
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I have them on one horn and I think they make it look bad-ass. So yes, it's worth it!

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I have them on one horn and I think they make it look bad-ass. So yes, it's worth it!

...Geezer

Return to “Accessories”