Lip Slurs to Low Register

How and what to teach and learn.
mbhalpern

Lip Slurs to Low Register

Post by mbhalpern »

All:

Mitch the adult beginner here. Quick question: when I am practicing lip slurs I notice that slurring down to the low register requires a lot of embouchure adjustment and even then is iffy. Is this just par for the beginner course or am I missing something that is easily correctable? Thanks!

Best,
Mitch
Savio

Re: Lip Slurs to Low Register

Post by Savio »

There is a youtube video with Brandt Attema where he talk and demonstrate about this subject. Its a long time since I saw it so I dont remember exactly what he told. Many bass trombone players do a shift down there, but in my experience you should try to make it as little as possible. I think its important to use the air right. Dont force to much air through the horn when going down there. Thats my two cents but Im not exactly an expert,

Leif
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Try to keep the weight of the mp on your lower lip. This will help minimize the shift.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

What are you calling "low register" and what mouthpiece are you using? I see from the other thread you're on a Blessing B88 (I guess that's the model). How much of a beginner are you, and what total range are you able to play at this point?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
mbhalpern

Post by mbhalpern »

I am using a Bach 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece and have been playing for a month. Range from first D above bass clef staff down to Ab (first space bass clef)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

If you use Skype I will help you with a quick video call.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Teaching & Learning”