Beard and high register

How and what to teach and learn.
johntarr

Beard and high register

Post by johntarr »

Hello All,

I’m wondering if growing a beard can affect the high range. Since growing a beard, I’ve been struggling to get a high Eb when before I could go up to G -Ab. Now you might be scratching your head wondering why I’m asking because it would seem obvious.

However, I also started playing much more alto and switching between tenor and thought that might be the reason. Of course it could be both. What have any of you out there had for experience?

Many thanks, John
BGuttman

Re: Beard and high register

Post by BGuttman »

Only way a beard can interfere is if you have hairs between the beard and your lips. I keep the mustache and "imperial" trimmed so that they clear my mouthpiece.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

With a beard you may be placing the mp in a different place, esp if you have a soul patch. The easy and obvious solution is to shave the beard and find out. You can always regrow it.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

For me at least, the moustache is what kills me. Too long and i lose ability, too short, and the hair vibrates and cuts my lip. Under my lower lip seems to have little to no impact. I rock the abe Lincoln and I'm good.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Could just be me, but I've just re-grown a beard after being clean shaven for the past couple of years, and I've noticed no ill effects on my sound, and the irritation that sometimes followed long bouts of playing when clean shaven no longer appears. Couple things though:

* I am a "dry" player, I wipe out the mouthpiece before I set up.
* I've been switching a TON between alto/tenor/bass/contrabass lately
* My range right now comfortably tops out at about high F#- used to be higher, but now is much more comfortable up there.

There are examples of great players who are clean shaven and those with great big bushy beards. I'd be more likely to ascribe your range issue to something else in your playing. I know those notes above Eb for me tend to come and go as they please.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

paulyg wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:04 pm Could just be me, but I've just re-grown a beard after being clean shaven for the past couple of years, and I've noticed no ill effects on my sound, and the irritation that sometimes followed long bouts of playing when clean shaven no longer appears. Couple things though:

* I am a "dry" player, I wipe out the mouthpiece before I set up.
* I've been switching a TON between alto/tenor/bass/contrabass lately
* My range right now comfortably tops out at about high F#- used to be higher, but now is much more comfortable up there.

There are examples of great players who are clean shaven and those with great big bushy beards. I'd be more likely to ascribe your range issue to something else in your playing. I know those notes above Eb for me tend to come and go as they please.
I wish i knew the secret to this, i miss my moustache! Unless you experience it yourself, you can't appreciate the difference. A week of growth is enough to reduce my playing level down to mediocre at best. Ive actually tested this buy letting it progressively grow in til i suck, shaving it off mid practice, and viola!
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

As one with a full beard, I find that i just have to "lubricate" the stache and I am fine. If I do not use a bit of lip balm before a long playing session I find I get irritation from the micro pulls associated embouchure positioning.
I do run into getting hairs caught while operating the F sometimes also.
EZ

Return to “Teaching & Learning”