Unclear attacks on high Ab

How and what to teach and learn.
norbie2018

Unclear attacks on high Ab

Post by norbie2018 »

I frequently (50% of the time) will have unclear attacks on high Ab. This happens when I slur up or down to it, or attack it detached from high or low. Sometimes that unclear attack will migrate to the g below or the a above. If I buzz the Ab from any direction it sounds clear, slurred or detached. I put it back in the instrument and sometimes that clears it up, sometimes it doesn't. I'm careful that I'm playing the instrument the same way I buzz.

Anyone had the same issue? How did you solve it?
baileyman

Re: Unclear attacks on high Ab

Post by baileyman »

Sam Burtis says that area is a common place where embouchures transition from one kind of a micro setting to another. His solution is to practice stretching each micro setting from one range to the other and back using a Caruso style 6 note exercise. Eventually, the two micro settings sorta merge.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Some horns just don't respond very well on that Ab, similar to high D above.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:15 pm Some horns just don't respond very well on that Ab, similar to high D above.
I had heard that before and was afraid of that. I'll be trying some trombones soon and I'll be interested to see if that clears things up.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Gliss through that area to see if the response and sound change a lot over that note.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I'll try the glisses tonight. I don't think it's the instrument; I tried approaching that note from different angles with different articulations SLOWLY and the attacks were clean. When speeding up it's as if my chops aren't getting to the right buzz, the right slot if you will. Didn't Jay Friedman compare the chops to a fork lift moving the air to different shelves? I'm missing the shelf. I'll have section mates try the horn at rehearsal this weekend. Still going to try new instruments :P .
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

You're not playing on an old Bach 12 by any chance? They had some very dodgy note issues around Bb in third and an Ab which was not much better. A horrible horn, and bought it blind in the early 80's

Return to “Teaching & Learning”