F-attachment in low range

How and what to teach and learn.
NiKu

F-attachment in low range

Post by NiKu »

Hey everyone,
I've been having problems with my low F (below the staff), and notes from there down to the pedal B-flat. I can play the F fine in sixth, but when I play it in T1, it becomes much harder to produce the note, let alone with good tone or volume. The same issue for the E-through-C, then my tone improves for my pedal range. What can I do to improve my tone while using the F-attachment?
Burgerbob

Re: F-attachment in low range

Post by Burgerbob »

Is your F attachment tuned to F? Play the F in the staff, and while holding it, put down the trigger for the valve to check, playing the same F in the staff.

Is it well oiled?

What happens when you slur from low Bb with no valve to F with the valve?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

It may be an issue with the attachment side of the horn, like a leak/hole in the tubing.

Try this: First, make sure that your attachment tuning slide is properly greased, then pull that tuning slide completely out of your attachment without pressing the trigger (you should try to pull the tuning slide with some effort but not so much that you might damage the horn, if that makes sense). You should feel some resistance because you're creating a vacuum inside the attachment tubing. When the attachment tuning slide eventually pulls completely out, you should hear a 'pop'. If there's no 'pop' then you have an air leak.

An air leak is just one possible reason your trigger notes are fuzzy, un-centered. It's like playing with your spit valve/water key slightly open. Same sensation.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Is your F-valve aligned correctly? Do your bumpers need replacing? Check the alignment with the index marks on the valve. You should also be able to check it visually with a flashlight from the handslide side (though minor misalighments may be difficult to see). However, on old (or mistreated) trombones, the index marks may no longer correctly indicate alignment. And (because of bumper wear) the valve can be out of alignment in one position (e.g., open), and not the other position (e.g., closed) -- so you may notice things continuing to work well (as you do) on the open horn, but not with the valve engaged.

Misalignment of the valve is a frequent cause of what you describe. I'm often surprised at how many trombone players don't know how the F-valve works, that it does need to be in alignment, and how to check and fix that -- like people who feel that auto maintenance amounts to waiting until the car doesn't run any longer, and then take it somewhere to get it fixed. It also seems that young trombone players are never told about valve alignment and maintenance, and so have no clue as the valve slowly creeps out of alignment to the point where the it becomes unplayable.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Enure the valve is clean, aligned, and properly oiled. Grease the F attachment slide.
StevenHolloway

Post by StevenHolloway »

Play Bordogni down the octave. Play them fortissimo and articulated, not slurred.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Alan Raph has an excellent exercise for developing trigger notes:
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Teaching & Learning”