Any thoughts on Willey’s “Focal Point”?

How and what to teach and learn.
Bach5G

Any thoughts on Willey’s “Focal Point”?

Post by Bach5G »

Thoughts?

One thought that occurred to me was that if you double tenor and bass, the focal point for tenor might be Bb2 while for bass it might be F2.
Redthunder

Re: Any thoughts on Willey’s “Focal Point”?

Post by Redthunder »

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8434

This book was recently brought up in that thread.

I've used this book extensively as a warmup tool for the past year. I have a handful of exercises I do daily from the book, and I've practiced with my focal points on F4, D4, and Bb3. I also tend to expand many of the chromatic warmups outward beyond the range of the two octaves, so it matters less where I start and more that I continue to maintain good technique for my face.

I can't recommend this book enough. It's no substitute for a lesson with Doug or Dave, but after a few lessons with each of them, this book really helped me iron out the concepts they each showed me.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I purchased the Reinhardt Routines several years ago, used them sparingly and put them away. Around 3 months ago I decided to use the routines exclusively as my daily routine with great results.

I recently ordered Focal Point and have incorporated this approach/exercises into my routine. I cannot speak to results as it has only been a couple of weeks.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Bach5G wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 pm One thought that occurred to me was that if you double tenor and bass, the focal point for tenor might be Bb2 while for bass it might be F2.
Starting low on bass is only a good idea after you've spent plenty of time starting in the middle or higher, which tends to set your chops in a much better way.

And no, "middle Bb" is not on the second line. I can't believe the number of bass trombone students who play a low Bb when I ask them to play middle Bb.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

For clarification, the FP book identifies Doug’s “middle Bb” - :space5: - as Bb2 and the F a fourth below as F2.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”