Music Ed in Japan

How and what to teach and learn.
Mikebmiller

Music Ed in Japan

Post by Mikebmiller »

Our community band is trying to play Bernstein's "Slava" and, to put it mildly, we are not exactly nailing it. So I look online for some reference recordings and come up with this video of a Japanese elementary school band playing it from memory and playing the snot out of it:

https://youtu.be/mAfy5e6uXs8

Of course, this video links to a bunch of other videos of Japanese bands sounding fantastic. So I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with the music ed system in Japan. How is it that their kids can play something at such a high level at such a young age, when American kids at that age are trying to figure out how to play "Litely Row" or something along those lines. Obviously, they are talented and practice hard, but lots of American kids are also talented and practice hard. Do they start on band instruments at a much younger age? I know the Suzuki violin kids start at 2 or 3, but I never heard of a Suzuki tuba teacher.

Just wondering. Thanks.
norbie2018

Re: Music Ed in Japan

Post by norbie2018 »

This isn't any ordinary Japanese elementary school band, but, according to the description: "Japan 2009's top elementary school symphonic band performance". You can assume from this that not all Japanese elementary school bands sound this way. One comment on the youtube link suggests that some groups practice 4 hours daily including weekends. I'm guessing that Suzuki techniques are employed (memorization is but one).

Regardless, they are an impressive group and did a wonderful job on their performance.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

Even in an ordinary school in Japan, most students dedicate much of their time to club and extra cirricular activities. Students going to school on Sunday in uniform for club activities is a common sight. And they are generally happy doing so. What a country.

I don’t know much about the method, but they sure start young (there are bands for students in grade 4+ in my city) and it is normal for Japanese students to devote time to activity they love.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

norbie2018 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:09 pm This isn't any ordinary Japanese elementary school band, but, according to the description: "Japan 2009's top elementary school symphonic band performance". You can assume from this that not all Japanese elementary school bands sound this way. One comment on the youtube link suggests that some groups practice 4 hours daily including weekends. I'm guessing that Suzuki techniques are employed (memorization is but one).

Regardless, they are an impressive group and did a wonderful job on their performance.
I realize these kids are all stars, but they are playing at the level of a good college band at a very young age.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

You have to understand the amount of time they are putting in.

I have taught some in Japan and visited Meiden High School, one of the top music high schools in Japan for a tour. At 4pm (after school) every hallway and conceivable space was filled with students practicing. Not just noodling around or hanging out... focused practicing.

I heard a couple groups of theirs. One was a Gabrieli brass ensemble. One was a 9th/10th grade wind ensemble doing a stage show (playing wind ensemble music while marching around on a small stage, all memorized). One was their top wind ensemble. All of them sounded basically perfect.

Of course, there are caveats... the sounds are more controlled, less full, less colorful. Not a lot of individual expression. And not many of those students continue in music after high school because they are so burned out.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

And then there are the Venezuelan high schoolers (led by Gustavo Dudamel in 2009):

brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I lived in Japan, and it's not necessarily the paradise many believe it to be. There is an incredible amount of pressure on everyone to succeed and follow the rules, and the consequences of that are not always good.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Teaching & Learning”