American Trombone Workshop 2019

How and what to teach and learn.
rnelson

American Trombone Workshop 2019

Post by rnelson »

I am planning on going to the ATW this year with my high schooler in tow (we both play). Having never been before, I would appreciate some advice on what to do while there and tips and tricks for getting the most out of the workshop. I have lodging arrangements made already, and we are driving in, so that part is taken care of. I have also visited the official website, but still have some questions. Here are a couple of questions I have, and my current list of things to do:

1. Group Warm-ups and masterclasses - do we haul our instruments around all day or is there a place to securely store them? Do we need portable music stands?
2. What is the registration process? The website is short on details

Things we are planning on doing:
- Attending masterclasses and group warmups
- Trying out shiny instruments and accessories
- Listening to recitals and concerts
Doug Elliott

Re: American Trombone Workshop 2019

Post by Doug Elliott »

There is no storage for instruments. Either leave it in your car or carry it. There are hundreds of music stands there, you don't need that.

There may not be any registration, it's free and open to anybody.

The thing you do need to know is that it takes a while to get through security when you drive in. And there will be a long line of cars waiting. Plan on as much as an hour just to get in on the first day. Unless you have a military ID.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

One thing I learned was to bring some real food. Getting on/off base can be time consuming, and you can't eat at the regular mess hall with the military types where the food is decent. You're kind of limited to the bowling alley where everything tastes like bowling alley food. Sometimes they bring in food trucks. I suggest you bring a cooler in your car with food you like and bottled water.

There are simultaneous sessions, so you can't see everything. Plan what you want to see. It's not a huge event with thousands of people, but there are probably 2-300 people, mostly college students. Evening events bring in locals and can be larger.

Plan some time to visit the vendor area, which for reasons you will learn, is in a different building. Buy some music from Hickeys, get a used horn from Baltimore Brass, have the slide dr adjust your slide, and get a mouthpiece from Doug.

To me the best parts were the tbone quartet/choir performances and the master classes. The audience is small enough and the rooms are good enough that you can really feel like you're part of what's going on. The schedule is subject to change, so expect that. The Army Band keeps working their regular schedule while you're there, so expect to see buses taking uniforms with instruments in and out.

Water and food are the differentiators between noobies and veterans at this event. Plus finding a way onto the base without waiting in line, and testing a horn without losing your hearing. Everything else is pretty easy to deal with.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

There's one more food option that's not bad... Panda Express behind the gas station.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Panda ... 77.0809739
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

Doug Elliott wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:43 am There's one more food option that's not bad... Panda Express behind the gas station.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Panda ... 77.0809739
And there is a Subway in the PX, open to anyone.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
rnelson

Post by rnelson »

Thank you all who replied - the comments have been very helpful, especially the logistics (food, water, parking) and the what the best parts are. Your comments have given me two additional questions:
1. My plan was to take the Metro and then walk to the base - is this feasible, or should i just drive in and spend the hour or more in line at the gate?
2. The only ID my high schooler has is a passport and passport card - I am assuming that ID will be required, and that a passport will be acceptable. Are these correct assumptions?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I don't think the metro is feasible unless you REALLY like to walk with a trombone on your back all day. I was going to take the train in, and Uber it over, but decided against that for the same reason. Once you're on base, it's still 1/2 - 3/4 mile.

The passport should be enough for the kid. Someone will need a driver license and registration to get the car on.

The best way to avoid the line is to come at least an hour early. The band building/exhibit area may not be open. You could spend the time catching up on the tbone forum, free buzzing in the car, planning your day, or walk around the cemetery (don't warm up in the parking lot - you're within sight of Arlington Cemetery, where they might be holding ceremonies).

The weather in DC that time of year could be cold or warm, but on average, you'll need a light jacket. And you'll be a couple weeks early for cherry blossoms.
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

Only time you will usually have a chance to play is with the group warm-up - first thing each day.

No exhibits on Wednesday - they start on Thursday and finish Saturday afternoon.

Plan to stay for the evening concerts - particularly Friday and Saturday when the Army Orchestra (Fri) and Band (Sat) accompanies the featured trombone artists.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

https://www.rtsrestaurant.net/

Nothing I could say would truly do this place justice. And I'm only telling you about it because I won't be going to the conference and so don't need to discourage crowds from forming at RT's. It's about 4-5 miles away from Ft. Myer. When we went to the Tuba/Euph conference a few years ago, we didn't have any trouble getting over there for an early dinner and then back for the evening activities.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Last time I went a few years ago, the weather was really nice. I took my bike and got in some sight seeing in the morning before getting to the event about 2-3 p.m. Even being the trombone geek that I am, I can only listen to so many trombone choirs before going bonkers. The evening concerts are where you will hear the best shows. My GPS kept trying to take me to the back gate, where you have to have a military ID to get in. For me, the jazz night is the best part of the whole weekend. Also the Capitol Bones are fantastic. The bowling alley food is not too bad. They did bring in a food truck with some BBQ last time as well.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

For those who haven't been to this event before, there are a couple of things from the schedule that I'd like to recommend. https://www.usarmyband.com/trombone/atw-schedule.html

First, Harry Watters is one of my favorite guys to hear play live, and he's doing a recital Friday morning. I think you'll really enjoy hearing him play. He does some really cool stuff on the trombone, and he always gives me techniques to try and effects to play with at home.

And then Saturday afternoon is Weather Vest with Max Seigel. Weather Vest is a little odd, maybe. 2 saxes and 2 tbones, but they really make it work. Max Seigel is the model that I strive for when I'm playing bass bone. I've got this love/hate thing going on with bass, that makes every note into a struggle, but Max just makes it so effortless, like a conversation. He just has such a great natural sound and easy expression on the horn. The rest of the group are also great musicians as well, but I just kind of focus on Max. What a great example of what I think bass bone should be.

And then of course others I'm looking forward to are Colin Williams, Brian Hecht and Gerry Pagano. And of course all the quartets, especially the New England Conservatory group, and the tbone choirs. Jim Nova has been there the last couple of years, and he's always brilliant in his playing and classes. He's not on the list this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he made an appearance.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

rnelson wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am Thank you all who replied - the comments have been very helpful, especially the logistics (food, water, parking) and the what the best parts are. Your comments have given me two additional questions:
1. My plan was to take the Metro and then walk to the base - is this feasible, or should i just drive in and spend the hour or more in line at the gate?
2. The only ID my high schooler has is a passport and passport card - I am assuming that ID will be required, and that a passport will be acceptable. Are these correct assumptions?
I second the Panda Express suggestion, good food at reasonable price. There's often a food truck by the PX, a little more expensive. Subway and Starbucks in the PX. Bring snacks.

My family uses the Metro but the closest station is the back gate, and you need military or government ID to get in there. The Arlington Cemetary station is about the same distance but again you won't get in. You can leave via either gate and walk to the metro. A passport is fine at the Second Street gate. They have names but I forget.

Bring a mouthpiece if you want to try out horns. Bring a horn if you want to try out mouthpieces. The warmup sessions are fun but I'm not sure it's worth carting a horn around all day just to play that half hour. I usually do, and notice I'm almost always the only one bringing a non-attachment horn, and the time I brought an alto was the only time I've seen one there.

All military bases have a thrift shop - people who live there move in and out constantly and leave what they don't want to move. The one here is better than most:
http://www.fortmyerthriftshop.org/shop-hours.html
It's worth a walk over if you have some down time between events, on a day they are open.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Doug Elliott wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 am ...
The thing you do need to know is that it takes a while to get through security when you drive in. And there will be a long line of cars waiting. Plan on as much as an hour just to get in on the first day. Unless you have a military ID.
And make sure your license registration, plate, and inspection is up to date else the vehicle will not get through except to turn around.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I am thinking hard about going IF the weather is nice enough to take my bike and get some riding in on the tons of bike trails in that area. At the moment, the forecast looks pretty lousy up through the 7th, but that may change. Last time I went, it was really nice.

That said, if there is anyone else going solo that would like someone to hang out with and maybe get a beer or some food between or after the shows, pm me. There might be 400 people there, but no one I actually know very well.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Weather is looking pretty lousy for next week in DC.

Bummer.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It's cold here :(

I was surprised. Not a lot of musicians here on day 1. There was only about ten people watching the recital at 5 today, and the group was killing it. I felt bad.

Pretty good crowd for the trombone choir in the evening though. Perhaps there would be more if it wasn't on a military installation.

Think I spotted Bruce today.

The high school / really young (division I) bass trombonists nailed it on the competition today. I heard some great music from those guys, and they weren't going all thin in the upper register from using mouthpieces that are too big to use for solo pieces. Good job high school guys!

Also, Christopher Bill is replacing another guest artist who got sick and doing a masterclass in his stead. That'll probably be cool.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Still cold, and it snowed.
Our Doug is playing Saturday, don’t miss it. Watch on line if you can’t come.

They keep talking about Instagram, whatever that is.

Word to the wise: if you’re gonna bring an alto to a warmup, might be a good idea to know your scales on that horn, all of them. DAMHIKT.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Allred destruktored last night. Holy cow

Hecht blew it out of the water on the piece he comissioned on tonight's concert. He should have gotten more of a standing ovation. It was the highlight for me.

Outside of that, all the stands and pedal pressing got in the way a tiny bit.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Saturday at 5:15 I'm playing Maynard Ferguson's (valve trombone) part in a concert of Russ Garcia's 4 trombone charts from the 1960's recording that featured Frank Rosolino, with Herbie Harper and Tommy Pederson. The 4 trombones are Eric Felton, me, Jen Krupa, and Bill Holmes.
Please come to the concert if you're here, or listen to the streamed version.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Jen is probably the best section player I've ever heard. Wasn't she in Navy? Their section was majorly helped by her when I heard it a few years ago. Two more copies of her on lead and second would have made for an amazing section.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

That set went really well, it was one of the most enjoyable of all the segments.

Doug did an awesome job on lead. The group was very tight on section playing; I don’t know how they did that on such limited rehearsal. They must know each other.

I hadn’t heard Jen before or at least didn’t remember. She did a lot of middle register soloing. She would be a good model for younger players maybe. She made unobtrusive use of an ergo one, hope she doesn’t mind me noticing.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

My favorite was Weather Vest. Most musical act I've seen since last time they were at ATW. Max Siegel is a master of subtlety on the bass bone. Really incredible how much control he exhibits, especially in contrast to a lot of what happens at a typical trombone convention. The other trombonist Mike Lormand was also excellent, but subtle control on a bass bone has become so.... unexpected. Even the sax players were great. The whole thing was even better when you consider that they arranged everything themselves.

Far and away, they get "best in show" from me.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Today's concerts can be viewed here:

The one I played starts at about 45 minutes.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Brittany Lasch was really good. She had the best stage demeanor -- must've been watching violin soloists and lindberg to see how to carry herself. Great piece and great playing. Where is her solo CD, cuz I will buy it.

Gerry Pagano could have played the entire bass trombone concerto. Splitting it up amongst the three dudes was egalitarian, but their interpretations didn't jive with each other. Gerry rocked thoroughly. A bit silly to carve up a piece like that, but it was cool!

The group that Doug played with sounded TIGHT! Outstanding ensemble playing. Doug ripped some tasty solos in the stratosphere and Jen showed off her great sound.

For the week, Hecht stole the show, hands down. (His performance wasn't tonight) It was a great piece, with a guy who had made sure it was composed for his strengths, and his sound was beyond amazing. That dude on the other thread asking about what a chocolate is needs to watch Hecht play that piece. WOW!

Had a great time at ATW 2019!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Caught some of Hecht playing his concerto on the livestream. Jesus christ.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah, I was in the front row, but my jaw was on the floor
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I only played a few horns at the exhibit hall this year. I wanted to play a 3b SS, but they didn't have one there. I did get to try 2 of the Courtois 508 bore horns. The red brass bell didn't resonate very well but the yellow did. Odd difference between otherwise similar horns.

I played a Bach 50A which was nice. Kind of an ergonomic disaster, but it sounded and felt good where it mattered. Also played a Greenhoe bass which was nice but not worth the premium. The biggest surprise bass wise was a Conn 62hi, which was the cheapest horn I played, but dollar for dollar the best playing, or at least the most resonant. I also played a low end Rath which was not remarkable. All in all, nothing I played made me want to give up my Kanstul 1662i.

Then I stepped over to the M&W booth. Last year they said they were working on a 525, and this year there it was. It was just a prototype, but the clouds parted when I played it. It seems like the perfect chamber music bone. No valve. 36 width slide, red bell. Plays light and lively. I fell in love. Now I have to see if I can make it happen. Beautiful horn. If you're a medium bore fan and catch these guys at a show, check out their new 525. It was like a lighter, more perfect 36.
afugate

Post by afugate »

Doug posted a link to the full day for ATW day four. For those interested in catching his performance, here's a direct link to where it starts (about 8 hours and 20 minutes into the day).

Great playing!
--Andy in OKC
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Anyone got an idea where in those videos I can hear Brian Hecht? Wich day and what time sig?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

He was on Day 3, towards the end of the day. Last concert

Return to “Teaching & Learning”