Is this a reasonable goal?

How and what to teach and learn.
VJOFan

Is this a reasonable goal?

Post by VJOFan »

Is it a worthwhile goal to even out rim pressure? More exactly, to not let holding the horn dictate mouthpiece angle and thus creating higher pressure points.
norbie2018

Re: Is this a reasonable goal?

Post by norbie2018 »

Have you identified an angle to the instrument that produces the most efficient results? One way to do so (borrowed from Sam Burtis aka Sabutin on the old forum) is to buzz a Bb and then place the mp in the instrument without altering the angle you have on the mp alone. You may have to angle the instrument a different way, which is good because then you've found your ideal angle to the trombone.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

No. Probably the opposite. IMO.
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

norbie2018 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:14 pm Have you identified an angle to the instrument that produces the most efficient results? One way to do so (borrowed from Sam Burtis aka Sabutin on the old forum) is to buzz a Bb and then place the mp in the instrument without altering the angle you have on the mp alone. You may have to angle the instrument a different way, which is good because then you've found your ideal angle to the trombone.
That’s pretty much what I did with some free buzzing added iin. I got a sound improvement and a little easier movement through my registers- and less discomfort.
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

What has been interesting is that I may not have been pursuing the right thing exactly but ended up doing something worthwhile.

Controlling the horn angle to fit my face instead of the weight of the horn dictating things has brought a few noticeable improvements.

The equal rim pressure ended up being more of a cue to put the horn on my most efficient buzz in a way that didn’t disturb it.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”