Duet books

How and what to teach and learn.
hornbuilder

Duet books

Post by hornbuilder »

Hi folks,

Looking for suggestions for Duet books that would be suitable for a late highschooler (who is not the most musically gifted, unfortunately, so the charts can't be "too" adventurous)

Thinking possibly some jazz standards, as well as more "traditional" instructional duets.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
BGuttman

Re: Duet books

Post by BGuttman »

If you can find it, there are the Tommy Pederson "Easy" duets.

I had a book of easy jazz duets (can't remember the title, but the subtitle was "no slide effects") that was easy jazzy duets. Sold it to a student, so I don't have more information.

For non-jazzy, look at the Rubank Easy Duets by Voxman. When I was in High School I played from teh Horn set, but I know there is a trombone set.

Also look for Keith Snell Easy Duets for Trombone. I liked the Intermediate and Advanced much better, but you said the kid is not too advanced.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Belwin publishes a series of trombone duets rated easy, intermediate, and advanced. Duets for All might fit the bill as well. You might also check out the Weber, Fred & Acton Ostling Duets for Trombone Students, v.1 & 2. All of these are available from Hickeys; we used them often for teaching and for solo/ensemble festivals.

Good luck!
Leisesturm

Post by Leisesturm »

I am using a Duet Series published through Carl Fischer called "Progressive Duets volume 1 for Horn in F". Volume one is marked "Easy to Medium" difficulty. The editor is Larry Clark and he composes several of the selections. The rest are all culled from the Classical repertoire. 54 selections in all, so plenty of variety. I don't know if the Trombone series uses the same editor or even has the same pieces, but I do know that there is a Trombone Series. Only ding I see is that you have to buy two copies, or both players have to read off the same copy. Still, the price, even for two copies, is (IMO) pretty reasonable.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I just read some good duets by Ben Coy http://www.tenorposaune.com/sheetmusic/ and Brad Edwards http://trombonezone.org. They were free downloads from their websites. Perhaps each has published a book of duets by now.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)

Return to “Teaching & Learning”