Note tasting

How and what to teach and learn.
norbie2018

Note tasting

Post by norbie2018 »

Julie Landsman has a sites of videos on the Caruso method; one of them addresses note tasting. In this exercise you hear the note, see the note in your mind's eye, and then (breath) attack the note all in good time. I'm going to re watch the vid and experiment with this myself. Just wondering is if anyone else has used this exercise and their results.
norbie2018

Re: Note tasting

Post by norbie2018 »

PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

Watch the entire series, so you get the context of this one. All are well worth it
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

There certainly is valid research in trying to combine different senses into memory recall. I haven't tried this. My usual method is to not worry about a note per se, but to remember the melody the note starts - to remember context.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

That's called hearing a note. If you have good ears and good internal pitch, you hear it in your head and then make the note happen.

Outside of the rabbit hole, notes and music don't have taste. At most, they might have a visual or tactile component, since that's part of playing music.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:24 pm That's called hearing a note. If you have good ears and good internal pitch, you hear it in your head and then make the note happen.

Outside of the rabbit hole, notes and music don't have taste. At most, they might have a visual or tactile component, since that's part of playing music.
I don't think it is meant literally.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

PhilTrombone wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:13 pm Watch the entire series, so you get the context of this one. All are well worth it
:good:
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:24 pm That's called hearing a note. If you have good ears and good internal pitch, you hear it in your head and then make the note happen.

You don't have to be a lexical-gustatory synasthete to taste notes.

I clammed high B natural in a solo Spring semester of my senior year in high school. :evil: :evil: :evil: Forty-some years later, I still can't get the taste out of my mouth. :weep: :weep: :weep:

:biggrin:

Return to “Teaching & Learning”