Phil Teele Routines

How and what to teach and learn.
SwissTbone

Phil Teele Routines

Post by SwissTbone »

Do you use the Phil Teele Routines?

I do them but lack the discipline and the time to do them daily.

I am wondering how you adapt them to your needs and time constrictions.

I just completed day two just doing one set per note, 2 minutes between each set and it took me like 90 minutes....

I sound like a construction machine when I do them... you guys?

Anyone doing them with a practice mute?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
robcat2075

Re: Phil Teele Routines

Post by robcat2075 »

the low range exercises?

I liken them to a book entitled "How to Levitate 10 Feet Off the Ground"
Lesson 1

First, levitate 10 inches off the ground. Work up from there.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Yes the low range stuff.

I also get a little dizzy with them :-)
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
blast

Post by blast »

Look on them as an example of what you may need to do to work at the level and get the sort of remuneration that Phil Teele does. They are very good and they do work. There are as many ways to get to the top as there are top bass trombone players.... worth picking any top brains if that is where you want to be. Being a good weekend warrior is in many ways'a very different skill.

Chris
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Oh a good weekend warrior is ok for me.

Right now I am particularly working our competition piece for national brass band championship. I am really experienced in this field of playing, but there are situations where I feel I have to get even louder.

The few times I did invest enough time in the Teele exercices, volume in the low register wasnt a problem.
blast

Post by blast »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:42 am Oh a good weekend warrior is ok for me.

Right now I am particularly working our competition piece for national brass band championship. I am really experienced in this field of playing, but there are situations where I feel I have to get even louder.

The few times I did invest enough time in the Teele exercices, volume in the low register wasnt a problem.
Yes indeed.... but most weekend warriors simply do not have the spare time to indulge in such things on a regular basis... and there lies the challenge... and I do not have the answers as I have the luxury of being a professional where I play a lot most days.

Chris
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I am a weekend warrior at this point, but I’m in a transition period in my life, so I’m starting to practice more. I am currently using them to help get in better shape. I have used them in the past for extended periods. I do not currently play them exactly as prescribed. I’m working my way up to more sets—I’m at half sets right now.

I try to focus on staying relaxed with large inhalations; smooth transition to exhalation (no “hitch”); focused, steady air stream (wind); consistent embouchure; and a large, full, even sound without wavers. At least, that’s the goal, and I do my best.

Sometimes I use a practice mute, esp. if I’m doing these in the morning or late at night.

Even some work like this is better than none.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)

Return to “Teaching & Learning”