Method Books?

How and what to teach and learn.
trombinstharry

Method Books?

Post by trombinstharry »

Good evening all, I will be switching trombone teachers soon and I will need to return a Rochut book and an Arbans book. I do have a newer Arbans book somewhere but I was wondering what books you all would recommend? I would like to improve consistency in my lower valve register on bass bone, but I could probably improve tone and really my technique in general. Thanks
BGuttman

Re: Method Books?

Post by BGuttman »

I like the Raph "Double Valve Bass Tromobne" book. I haven't tried the Aharoni books but I understand they are pretty good for bass.

Bordogni vocalises (whether Rochut's version or somebody else's) are great for building musicianship. The Dave Schwartz versions are available with accompaniments to make them a bit more interesting.

Download the Blazhevich School for Trombone from IMSLP. It's what we used to call "Clef Studies".

Download the Simone Mantia "Trombone Virtuoso" from IMSLP.

Download the Max Schlossberg "Daily Drills" from IMSLP.

And ask your new teacher what he/she recommends you work from. It may be some of the above or none.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

Allen Ostrander put out a version of Bogdoni for bass trombone. The keys and range are better for that horn and I also use it for tuba. Brad Edwards has a good bass trombone book.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Faulise?
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

The aharoni method for modern bass trombone is really nice. It explores weirder keys and time signatures.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”