Returning to the horn

How and what to teach and learn.
TheCincyKid

Returning to the horn

Post by TheCincyKid »

I was a trombone major in college nearly 14 years ago and I quit playing when I developed an issue starting notes without hesitation. It continued until I got so frustrated it wasn't enjoyable to play anymore and I quit. I've played in spurts periodically over the years but nothing consistent because of the issue. I've been invited to play a Christmas gig so over the past month I've been slowly getting back and of course the hesitation issue pops up. One of the things that really help and I wish I would have discovered this earlier is using a bit of the Breathing Gym exercises. I never used to spend much time on breathing exercises except for setting metronome and do 4 beats in and out before warming up. Now I spend 15 minutes before I get started doing a Breathing Gym video I found on YouTube and the helps tremendously. I haven't been having that much trouble with hesitation starts and when I do I stop and do the exercises for a few minutes and it stops.

Just sharing my experience and it's nice playing again.
Kingfan

Re: Returning to the horn

Post by Kingfan »

Welcome back!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Indeed, welcome back! One thing the Breathing Gym helps with is flow of air, which helps with the hesitation problem at the top of inhalation. Breathe in time, and time your breath.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
afugate

Post by afugate »

Just a thought. The issue might be embouchure-related, perhaps the chops not being set ideally for you. That might also cause a hesitation to sound production.

Doug Elliott frequents the forums and is well-versed in embouchure mechanics. I'd reach out to him. He may be able to help. I know his teaching helped me correct some very fundamental issues that hindered my playing.

Welcome back to the horn!
--Andy in OKC

Return to “Teaching & Learning”