Breath Builder

How and what to teach and learn.
craign

Breath Builder

Post by craign »

I haven't seen the breath builder mentioned much here, but wanted to add a plug. Since re-commencing playing I've not been achieving the volume or sustain I'd like (both were historically problems I had to work on). I eventually found out my old breathing gym book, it was helping, but slow going on progress.

I started reading/watching more Arnold Jacobs content and picked up a breath builder and a voldyne. The breath builder made an immediate difference to my playing. A couple exercises and breathing just clicked. My playing improved even beyond volume and sustain. Articulation is clearer, notes are just slotting better, playing feels easier (and I think I can find lots more tension to can get rid of now). Also feel like I can get more out of the breathing gym exercises now I've "opened up". My teacher was pretty amazed at the progress.

I immediately ordered a copy of Song and Wind to see what else I can learn from Arnold Jacobs teachings!
Kbiggs

Re: Breath Builder

Post by Kbiggs »

You might also want to look at David Vining’s Breathing Book: https://www.mountainpeakmusic.com/breathing-book/

Good information about the physiology of breathing, and good exercises to bridge the gap between breathing and playing.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
craign

Post by craign »

Thanks, that might be next when I'm done with reading Song and Wind :).
craign

Post by craign »

Which I know is also a biography not really a technical exercise book as you are suggesting.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”