Exhaling through mouth and....nose???

How and what to teach and learn.
DOOMGUYplaystbn

Exhaling through mouth and....nose???

Post by DOOMGUYplaystbn »

Hi all. I've been taking a respite from practicing due to some tendinitis in my left arm, and I've used this time to reflect on my playing habits and thought I would pose a question to the forum.

Before I just recently graduated from my undergrad in performance, I noticed while practicing in front of a mirror that my nostrils tend to flare up while playing. Upon further inspection, I found that I was actually exhaling simultaneously through my mouth AND nose while playing (I had a friend hold up my horn for me while I played, and when I plugged my nose with my fingers playing became much harder).

When I showed this to my former teacher, he remarked that it's unorthodox playing, but wasn't comfortable telling me whether or not it was wrong, which, in retrospect, I appreciate his caution. He redirected my focus towards other things so I wouldn't become too analytical about it. Now that I have some time away from the horn, I was wondering if this is something that should warrant some concern; my understanding is that if I'm allowing air to escape through my nose, it's circumvented from the mouth and I'm thus playing less efficiently.

Does anyone here also think this is a problem? If so, what steps should I take to establish proper exhalation while playing? Thanks!
Burgerbob

Re: Exhaling through mouth and....nose???

Post by Burgerbob »

Might be worth getting a good inhale, then blowing purposefully through the nose. No air through the mouth. Then switch, blowing only through the mouth. You can make sure by closing your mouth for the first one, plugging the nose for the 2nd. Then slowly leaving out the crutch, just leaving both open while you choose one to exhale through. The point is to feel for that mechanism that changes, the gate that moves.

You can even see it here if you experiment:

https://dood.al/pinktrombone/

It may take some changes in your playing.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

That question has been asked before, it's not uncommon. As Burgerbob said, get familiar with the differences in feel between opening and closing the soft palate area that goes to your nasal passages. Some people have a defect in that area that doesn't allow full closure. I have heard of brass players having surgery to correct that.

The way that I teach freebuzzing helps to isolate problems like that, but if it's a structural defect you may only be able to minimize it.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Drombone

Post by Drombone »

I think it's part strength, part stamina, part awareness.

I did this when I was learning, up to ABRSM Gd VII; and then seemed to stop. I can now turn it on or off, I'm not sure how I just know how to hold my throat and palate. I wish I could be more descriptive. I sort of pull my tongue back and it stops, move it forward and it happens. I've tried doing it while typing, and I can't. Put my hands in a vague 'holding a trombone' shape in front of my face and I can.

What I do know is that it's more difficult to control when tired. At the end of a Proms concert, I'm two hours in, I've done all the tricky bits in Sea Songs, and then that high A entry in Pomp and Circumstance comes into view. Then it starts.
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

Did you have your tonsils and/or adenoids removed?
After I did, I noticed a small leak like what you're describing.
That said, while I certainly saw an affect on my playing, if my embouchure is efficient and the equipment I play fits my face, I don't really notice it much.
Slyde

Post by Slyde »

well my day gig is cleft palate surgery. I have treated a number of wind musicians with "velopharyngeal incompetence" over the years. It may be related to an occult cleft palate or maybe adenoidectomy or for no obvious reason. The question is "Is this a permanent problem", or a "poor technique " problem. I suggest getting a small mirror and placing it under you nose and getting someone to look at it as you talk. Normally the mirror should only mist on M and N. The sounds that are most likely to cause problems are Ss, SHs, and plosive sounds such as P B T D that require pressure build up in the mouth. If you mist on these sounds you have a nasal air leak and may have a physical problem. If not the the problem is more likely learned and only related to playing, and if it only occurs after a period of time your palate is likely fatigueing. If it is bad enough that you want to take it further I wold suggest seeing a cleft palate surgeon in conjunction with a speech pathologist. Hope this helps.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”