Returning to the instrument

How and what to teach and learn.
pickupleftoff

Returning to the instrument

Post by pickupleftoff »

Hello,

I am making this post in part to be one of the two posts in order to participate fully in the forum and also out of genuine interest.

I am returning to the trombone after a year break. I put down the instrument after great frustration, burnout, and and physical strain that was coming with playing.

One thing I struggle with coming back to the horn is choking off, almost vocalizing to create compression (at least how I interpret it).

If anyone has any exercises or tricks/visualizations to practice against this habit I'd love to know.
BGuttman

Re: Returning to the instrument

Post by BGuttman »

I find the vocalizing seems to come when I've been pushing too hard. Stop playing tough exercises and play something easy for a while. Play stuff you"finished" years ago that won't challenge you. This time try to make it sound like music.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I had what sounds like a similar problem in my early college days (40 years ago, now). Of course, I don’t know whether it’s the same as what you’re experiencing, but for what it’s worth…

When I started to play again, I took it very easy. I never played more than 10-15 minute sessions for at least the 1st month. When I felt tension, frustration, etc., I put the horn down, took a deep breath (or five!), and started again. I focused on music, rather than exercises. I deliberately chose music that was no more than 1 1/2 octaves. After some time of just playing, I focused on consistency: articulations, pitch, connections between notes, etc.

Because rhythm has always been challenging for me, I used a metronome a lot at first to help with starting phrases. Looking back, I’m not sure that’s necessary. I now believe that the process—set, breathe, play—is more important than timing.

I’m sure you’ll get many different answers here. I would also suggest finding a teacher who is knowledgeable about rebuilding, and has lots of patience.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Kbiggs wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:00 pm I focused on music, rather than exercises. I deliberately chose music that was no more than 1 1/2 octaves. After some time of just playing, I focused on consistency: articulations, pitch, connections between notes, etc.
Just to clarify: I played exercises, like the slurs and long tones you find in Schlossberg and Marstellar. But I deliberately kept that part of practice brief. Otherwise, it was too easy (for me) to get sucked in to nitpicking every aspect of each note, and criticizing my playing. Yes, you have to do that at some point. But when you are returning to playing, focus on on the music and the joy of playing.
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
KWL

Post by KWL »

Good advice from Bruce and Kbiggs. I’m in the process of coming back to the trombone after 40 years (!) Oh, how I wish I hadn’t let it go so long. Right now I’ve got about 12 hours of playing over the last 35 days. I have been experiencing what you have.

One thing that has been helping is Ken Ebo’s “Common Sense for Comeback Chops, A Trombonist’s Guide to Playing After Extended Time Off.” Ken writes pretty much what Bruce and K did above. Slow down, rest often, work on moving the air, don’t overdo it. Hell, I’m only on page 22 of an 83 page book and most of the first part is text. My neighbors are probably getting tired of hearing the same 10 notes over and over again but I can’t recommend Ken’s book enough.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

pickupleftoff wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:50 pm
One thing I struggle with coming back to the horn is choking off, almost vocalizing to create compression (at least how I interpret it).
Compression... is this something you perceive yourself as needing?
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

KWL wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:43 pm Good advice from Bruce and Kbiggs. I’m in the process of coming back to the trombone after 40 years (!) Oh, how I wish I hadn’t let it go so long. Right now I’ve got about 12 hours of playing over the last 35 days. I have been experiencing what you have.

One thing that has been helping is Ken Ebo’s “Common Sense for Comeback Chops, A Trombonist’s Guide to Playing After Extended Time Off.” Ken writes pretty much what Bruce and K did above. Slow down, rest often, work on moving the air, don’t overdo it. Hell, I’m only on page 22 of an 83 page book and most of the first part is text. My neighbors are probably getting tired of hearing the same 10 notes over and over again but I can’t recommend Ken’s book enough.
Yes, that’s a good book, and I’ve used it before when I took a few months off.

I’d also highly recommend taking some lessons, particularly with Doug Elliott. He’s here on the forum. Excellent, knowledgeable teacher.
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)

Return to “Teaching & Learning”