Funky thing happened on the way to a warm up

How and what to teach and learn.
Tomingoode

Funky thing happened on the way to a warm up

Post by Tomingoode »

I say that with apologies to the movie I stole the title from, but it kind of explains something I have going on with my practice routine. I don't know if this is something that should be considered a problem or just a peculiarity, but I often find as I go thru my morning warm up, which usually consists of a few minutes of on again off again long tones, arpeggios, etc that I find certain notes, mid register, like the C just above the staff or the B flat at the top of the staff or the D just above those two notes to be really muddy almost like what you'd get from a 'dixieland glissando' kind of sound. Its very hard to describe how it sounds but it has that nasty blatty kind of doubled up character. But it seems to take a long warm up before those notes clean up and start to sound pure like they should. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or is it just part of having a 70 year old face playing a horn? I appreciate any guidance you guys can offer.
Vegasbound

Re: Funky thing happened on the way to a warm up

Post by Vegasbound »

Have a lesson with Doug Elliott
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Tomingoode wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:52 am Or is it just part of having a 70 year old face playing a horn? I appreciate any guidance you guys can offer.
Several people here have commented that as they advance in age they seem to need more warmup before things settle. Possible for you?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Probably the beginnings of a double buzz. My guess is something about you setup has never been 100% ideal, and it's just now showing the signs. Not uncommon at all, and very fixable.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Tomingoode

Post by Tomingoode »

I'd be happy to get some targeted instruction to help Doug. I don't know how you go about doing that long distance but I feel sure we can work something out either via viber video chat or possibly via facetime if you use that app. Let me know how you would propose to proceed. Let's see if we can find a time that works for both of us.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I sent you an email.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Tomingoode

Post by Tomingoode »

I responded to your email Doug, but havent heard back...most days are good except fridays when I have scheduled appointments. I can mostly work around everything else. Let me know.
Brass players are like addicts: Always looking for a good buzz or how to improve on the one they have. Have you gotten your buzz today? :) :biggrin:

Return to “Teaching & Learning”