Can't Hold Steady Tone in Middle Register

How and what to teach and learn.
Edsters295

Can't Hold Steady Tone in Middle Register

Post by Edsters295 »

Hi Everyone,

I've been playing for 20+ years pretty consistently (I did take a break this summer for a bit, then may have practiced too intensely after the break), and recently I've developed a wavering between middle F ( :line4: ) and middle Bb ( :space5: ). It sounds like a nervous shaky vibrato, and it's only in that range.

I've been practicing very slow long tones in that range for a few weeks now (buzzing, free buzzing, and playing), but it doesn't seem to get better. I took 2 days off recently, and the 1st day back was better, then right back to bad the day after.

I'm not in any pain, but is it possible I injured myself? Has anyone else dealt with this before?

I'm not sure whether I should take a longer break from playing to let whatever it is heal, or if I should keep going with the long tones every day, or if it's something else all together.

Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Doug Elliott

Re: Can't Hold Steady Tone in Middle Register

Post by Doug Elliott »

Problems like that are caused by an instability in your formation or mouthpiece placement. This is the stuff that I teach. I do lessons by Skype, if you're interested in fixing it quickly.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Edsters295

Re: Can't Hold Steady Tone in Middle Register

Post by Edsters295 »

That would be great- my email address is: [email protected]

Send me an email and we'll set it up. Thank you!

Return to “Teaching & Learning”