Books on teaching???

How and what to teach and learn.
DOOMGUYplaystbn

Books on teaching???

Post by DOOMGUYplaystbn »

Hi all! I wanted to inquire about teaching methods/books that you private teachers have used for younger students (i.e middle school age and lower). I've been teaching privately for about 5 years, and most of my students have been of high school age, so their tonal centers and technique are a little more reliable than those of their middle school peers. I remember how difficult learning music when I was in middle school, but I was lucky in that I had several talented students around me to help guide me in school ensembles. I've been teaching an 8th grader for maybe a few months cumulatively (started before summer break and just started again) who's been playing trombone for 2 years, and while I do some rote work in lessons my ultimate goal is to just provide her with the tools necessary so she can understand music step by step.

For example, like most young band students, she's really good at playing major scales with flats in the keys, but because of that and the band director's indignation to stick to those keys, whenever we try shifting tonal focus (i.e we worked on a C major scale today), it's really difficult for her and I'm afraid that she'll stop enjoying it because it's so wildly different for her. So, I'm curious if there are any pedagogy books or resources that you educators have used for younger students to make the beginning learning process a little more streamlined. Ideally something that encompasses greater music concepts, like rhythm, tonality, and then how to apply it to an instrument (so basically the Holy Bible of teaching, if that could exist). Thanks!

PS, just for reference, she's certainly musically talented - she's an active musical theater student and can play piano fairly well, I think it's just the habits engrained from band class that are throwing her off; no disses intended towards band directors, of course, I think her specific band director isn't doing them justice.
Last edited by DOOMGUYplaystbn on Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robcat2075

Re: Pedagogy Methods/Books

Post by robcat2075 »

DOOMGUYplaystbn wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:00 pm ...For example, like most young band students, she's really good at playing major scales with flats in the keys, but because of that and the band director's indignation to stick to those keys, whenever we try shifting tonal focus (i.e we worked on a C major scale today), it's really difficult for her and I'm afraid that she'll stop enjoying it because it's so wildly different for her.

Take a passage or exercise or etude that she likes playing, plug it into MuseScore or any other notation app of your preference and transpose it to a somewhat more unfamiliar key. You are, of course, already familiar with a notation app because all modern music teachers need to be so.

When she gets that piece going in the new key, transpose it again. Or pick a new selection and new key.

Your wish for a "bible" is almost certain to elicit a mention of the "Arban's" method. If your student is defeated by C major, the Arban's is not for her yet. I don't feel it is really deserving of its reputation as a standard go-to for trombonists anyway.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Teaching & Learning”