Mouthcorner inhalations etc

How and what to teach and learn.
ithinknot

Mouthcorner inhalations etc

Post by ithinknot »

Really a Doug and Dave question, but the answer might be of interest to others and the archive...

Breathing through the corners. Reinhardt is very clear that the vibrating points of the lips remain in light contact throughout the inhalation. What I feel, and watching in the mirror with a rim confirms it, is that two situations seem possible:

1) I make a conscious effort to maintain contact in the center of the vibrating aperture during the inhalation, which in practice seems to coincide with the tip of the tongue refusing to leave the roof of the mouth just behind the upper front teeth, in which case it's restricting air intake somewhat

or B) Maintaining mouthpiece pressure, but not 'actively trying' to maintain central lip contact, the tongue naturally moves back slightly into something like the "IM" position Reinhardt describes and more air is taken in for the same effort ... but the lips are no longer touching at the very center. They're not moving under the rim, and they're still just touching in the outer 1/3rds of the area within the rim, but they do part very slightly in the center. Not enough to be inadvertently sucking air in through the horn or anything like that, but not 'officially' touching either. But then the centers naturally return to real contact as soon as the mouthcorners snap back into position. So is that Good Enough? Following this version of events with air attacks seems fine and suggests that everything ends up back where it started.

(Same thing applies to the Buzzing Routine inhalations if I try to do it without the finger - I can maintain 'L&R central contact' roughly where the inside edge of the rim would land but not necessarily perfect contact right in the middle.)

Apologies for length - I'm trying to form new habits, so some overthinking probably comes with the territory :r2d2:
Doug Elliott

Re: Mouthcorner inhalations etc

Post by Doug Elliott »

b) is close enough
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

:good:

It wasn't clear to me if this was an active Thing, or mostly just a caution against letting something different happen. Thanks.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

While practicing a chop position, taking a breath can throw it out of alignment, so sucking air through the horn can help keep it in place until you can internalize its feel.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

The art of inhaling through the corners of the mouth was something that one of my primary teachers (Thomas Cramer at Oberlin) preached to all of his students. I never quite mastered it when I was a student, but I was wise enough to listen to his advice and take mental notes of his many suggestions. Thus, I was able to develop the technique and get very comfortable with it a few years after my college studies.

I didn’t realize the full benefits of opening the corners of my mouth for breathing until I was completely comfortable with it. The muscles in the corners take a beating while playing…….I have heard many players speak of those muscles “giving out” after a certain amount of playing. With my playing, I found that my endurance increased dramatically when I breathed through open corners. Opening up the corners of my mouth relaxes those muscles and gives them short bits of “rest time.” It was a major breakthrough in my playing…..more endurance, deeper breathing, less overall tension in my playing.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

Mouth corner inhalations are a little trickier for low brass players, I think. If you have a very wide mouth, for example, then you have a lot of space between the corners and rim to take in air. Those of us who have a smaller mouth don't have as much space outside the mouthpiece and it can be a little harder to keep everything touching inside the cup.

The main point of mouth corner inhalations is to keep the rim contact on the lips as well as keep as much as possible in place during the inhalation. When you start blowing the mouth corners should snap into place while everything else maintains its position. Some players pull their jaw back or drop it to take as big a breath as possible, for example, and when they commence the blowing they end up hitting a moving target after every breath.

My mouth corner inhalations aren't perfect either. I had Doug scope it out several months ago and he wasn't concerned that my corners open a bit past the rim. My lip center is still just touching, there's just some opening on the sides inside the cup too.
While practicing a chop position, taking a breath can throw it out of alignment, so sucking air through the horn can help keep it in place until you can internalize its feel.
A better intermediate step, in my opinion, is to keep your chops set (lip center just touching) and use a nose inhalation. When you get more used to starting notes this way you can begin practicing the mouth corner inhalations.
Opening up the corners of my mouth relaxes those muscles and gives them short bits of “rest time.”
That's interesting. I've never felt that opening the corners to relax the muscles there personally, but I have found that mouth corner inhalations in general help with endurance. My reasoning is that doing so keeps your embouchure more consistent and with that consistency you build the strength and endurance in the correct areas. Overall consistency in embouchure form makes for more efficient playing, I think.
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com

Return to “Teaching & Learning”