Tense in Left Hand

How and what to teach and learn.
dpeyton

Tense in Left Hand

Post by dpeyton »

Hello, I wanted to ask if anyone knows how to stop yourself from being tense in the left hand. After I practice, the area that touches the bell/slide connector is red. It gets to the point where my hand goes numb. I think I’ve done this sense I’ve ever had a trigger trombone but only realized it a few years ago. This is regardless of what range I’m playing in. Is this something that I’m doing wrong? I feel like a counterweight would solve this issue.
BGuttman

Re: Tense in Left Hand

Post by BGuttman »

Look into a grip aid for your trombone. A Clebsch (Yamaha) Strap, Rest Bar, etc. You are probably working too hard to hold the instrument with your left hand because there is no bell brace.

Also, have your teacher look at how you are holding the instrument. Maybe a small change in hand position will do wonders.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

Whatever the cause of this problem, take measures to address it immediately ! The ergonomics of trigger horns can lead to disaster if you don't address them. Ask me how I know. "Toughing it Out" does not work. With the plethora of grips, straps and various aids such as the ErgoBone now available, you should be able to concoct a solution to this issue and have many happy hours of playing remaining in your future. DO -- IT -- NOW !
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

One minor thing that can help, get in the intentional habit of setting the horn down and shaking out your hand. The horn isn’t on your face 100% of the time even in a strenuous practice session. Plenty of time to just relax the hand take minimal breaks to avoid the constant tension.

Cheers,
Andy
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I used to have a "death grip" back in my college days, in my case I was breaking the string on the linkage of my 88H on a regular basis. With the help of my teacher, I learned to relax my RIGHT hand; I was also gripping the slide firmly enough that my thumb was turning white. Every time he noticed this, he stopped me. Once the right hand was relaxed, the left hand followed and I have not had the problem since.
One other thing that helped was to make sure that the cork barrel was resting on my palm.
Najataagihe

Post by Najataagihe »

One of my trombone players lost half of his left thumb and was going to quit, because he could not actuate the valve, anymore. (Conn 88H)

I suggested he take it to our favorite repair tech and have it reconfigured so the valve was actuated with the middle finger, as is done for the second valve on most bass trombones.

It worked beautifully, with the added benefit of allowing him to wrap what was left of his thumb on the tubing just above the bell nut.

This, also, alleviated the pain from arthritis he had been suffering by relieving the stresses on the hand.

Whatever solution you choose, keep playing and don't forget to have fun!

-Naj
Last edited by Najataagihe on Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

elmsandr wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:09 am One minor thing that can help, get in the intentional habit of setting the horn down and shaking out your hand. The horn isn’t on your face 100% of the time even in a strenuous practice session. Plenty of time to just relax the hand take minimal breaks to avoid the constant tension.

Cheers,
Andy
Up vote for this.

There was a point where I just realized that in rehearsals during long rests or tacits I could kind of lay my horn across my lap instead of the traditional propping up on the left knee and holding with my left hand.

That solved most of my left hand pain and weakness that was beginning to develop.

There are a lot of human injuries that are caused by repetitive or prolonged stress. Breaking up patterns of use is sometime the easiest solution.
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Even just hold it with right hand instead in breaks does wonders to me, especially if I'm playing Bass trombone
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

By any chance, could this 88H have ended up at Dillons, 5 or 6 years ago? I had a high school student show up with a very similar horn that he bought at Dillons. It came in a Conn case that someone had re-lined.
-Sue
Najataagihe wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:40 am One of my trombone players lost half of his left thumb and was going to quit, because he could not actuate the valve, anymore. (Conn 88H)

I suggested he take it to our favorite repair tech and have it reconfigured so the valve was actuated with the middle finger, as is done for the second valve on most bass trombones.

It worked beautifully, with the added benefit of allowing him to wrap what was left of his thumb on the tubing just above the bell nut.

This, also, alleviated the pain from arthritis he had been suffering by relieving the stresses on the hand.

Whatever solution you choose, keep playing and don't forget to have fun!

-Naj
Najataagihe

Post by Najataagihe »

No, my friend played until he had a stroke in late 2019 and his widow did not sell it, until after he passed away in late 2020.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”