How to find a private teacher

How and what to teach and learn.
piezer

How to find a private teacher

Post by piezer »

Hi everyone! I'm getting back into playing after graduating college (music minor) and two years of COVID. I currently play first trombone in a very small community orchestra and bass trombone in a brass/pep band.

I'm looking to find a teacher to supplement my practice and to make sure I'm not building bad habits. I'd also like to work on my improv. How did you go about finding a teacher that you liked?

Also if anyone has any recommendations I'm very open to them. I'm in NYC so I'm sure that there are a ton of options.
WilliamLang

Re: How to find a private teacher

Post by WilliamLang »

There are a lot of great trombonist teachers in NYC. I'd be happy to hear to you, and also be open towards moving you in the right direction for what you want to study, as would several other people on this board.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Depending on what you’re looking for there’s a bunch of great teachers in the city, try going to shops and seeing if they have recommendations or reaching out to schools maybe. I know a lot of jazz trombonists at msm teach on the side and some of us classical folk too. You could also always go to gigs and listen to people, find someone you like and make contact there. Asking around is the first step
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BigBadandBass wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:59 am You could also always go to gigs and listen to people, find someone you like and make contact there. Asking around is the first step.
:good:

Return to “Teaching & Learning”