It's been a long while... starting from almost scratch

How and what to teach and learn.
JKno

It's been a long while... starting from almost scratch

Post by JKno »

I haven't played more than a conch shell in the last 33 years... Basic training drum & bugle corps in June/July1989 was the last time I played anything of sorts. Wanting to play again and have an old Conn Director, which I'll upgrade down the road.
What I'm finding is that there are quite a few books, series methods for learning, with most geared towards youth.
My question Is there one that works better for older (maybe not more mature) beginners?
I've found the following:
Rubank Method (ele, int, adv,)
Essential Elements
Standard of Excellence

Anything else come to mind? When I find a local instructor, I'll use what they recommend, but would like something to get me started.
Doug Elliott

Re: It's been a long while... starting from almost scratch

Post by Doug Elliott »

JKno wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:45 pmBasic training drum & bugle corps in June/July1989
Hey, that's when I was in AF Basic Training drum & bugle.... late June/July/beginning of August 1989, and I knew other AF Band people who were just before me - you were probably in with them.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
JKno

Post by JKno »

Hey Doug! We must have played in different bands together! I was Navy in San Diego... Timing is spot on though. It was a great experience. I still remember our drum major's name, but no one else. We got to play at a Padres game and at Miramar for their airshow. The best part was when the groups ahead of you graduated, you got the better instruments!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Back on topic, Rubank should get you started. Essential Elements and Standard of Excellence tend to be for classroom study. A lot will start coming back pretty quickly and you can go to a more conventional methods like Arban's or LaFosse. Also get the Hunsberger edition of the Remington Warmups. Those should take you pretty much all the way back.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JKno

Post by JKno »

Thanks Bruce, exactly what I am looking for.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Have a Skype lesson with Doug
Conn100HGuy

Post by Conn100HGuy »

USAF Basic Training "Dum and Bongo" corps, Sep - Oct 65 and Keesler AFB Blue Knights from Nov 65 - Aug 66. Fun times with some great players.
Onward and Upward
JKno

Post by JKno »

Joined the local Community Band and have our first concert tomorrow for the town Halloween bash. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm a bit out of my league, but having a good time.
Picked up the Arban book yesterday and whoa, that's a ton to work on! It's the Alessi edited version. Just cracked the cover open tonight... Will do some of the front matter then practice the areas of concern for the music for tomorrow.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”