Insulating a practice room

How and what to teach and learn.
dxhall

Insulating a practice room

Post by dxhall »

I’ll be spending a lot of time in a vacation condo this summer. I can use one of the bedrooms as a practice room, but I’ll need to insulate it somehow to avoid annoying the neighbors. I suppose I could use my silent mute, but for me that’s not something I’d like to use every day.

Has anyone tried temporary sound insulation in a situation like this? A heavy curtain in front of the horn, maybe?

Edit: I ask here because the most effective insulation for one instrument isn’t necessarily effective for another. A room insulated for a violin, for example, would probably not do much to damp the lower pitches produced by a trombone. I haven’t found any articles on sound insulation specific to low brass instruments. I’m still looking, though.
harrisonreed

Re: Insulating a practice room

Post by harrisonreed »

MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Honestly, I wouldn't do anything until you have an opportunity to talk with the neighbors. Just let them know you would like to practice and they might hear it. Offer to do a dry run so they can decide. Maybe they won't care or you could work out a timeframe that is agreeable to both parties. This way if they don't care then you don't spend time or money needlessly. Basically be a great neighbor. Alternatively, you could see if there is a community center near by, and see if you can practice there. Michael Lake did a video a while back on how he practices at the hotel in business/meeting rooms.
Last edited by MTbassbone on Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afugate

Post by afugate »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:10 am
Interesting. It looks like Maestro Smith might be experiencing the first phases of his focal dystonia as he descends - around 45-50 seconds into the clip.

--Andy in OKC
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Here's something I proposed earlier...

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic. ... 11#p167411
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Without hanging a room inside of one of the existing rooms, the sound will escape.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Absolute silence will be unobtainable.

Enough reduction that no one in the next apartment hears anything will probably need some purpose-built compartment with layers of sheet rock and isolating airspaces.

Enough reduction such that it the sound not objectionable in normal daytime hours can probably be done with much less, but the sort of cubular foam panels you see on recording studio walls won't do much to stop sound from getting out. That is more about stopping reflections.

The real limit on what you can do in your apartment is your lease. Does it mention noise? Hours for noise?

Probably... probably in some vague terms that will be a problem once you test the specifics of what they mean.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Ozzlefinch

Post by Ozzlefinch »

From time to to time I've had to resort to practicing without the bell, slide and mouthpiece only. Its not the best, but it's better than nothing.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Who needs a bell? They are overrated. :D

Steve
dxhall

Post by dxhall »

He always sounded better with the bell. One of his best:

Return to “Teaching & Learning”