Ophicleide embouchure

How and what to teach and learn.
dxhall

Ophicleide embouchure

Post by dxhall »

I recently acquired a 1920s ophicleide. It can be played with a small-shank trombone mouthpiece, but I purchased a real (?) ophicleide mouthpiece because it is claimed to have better intonation.

I thought that practicing the ophicleide would strengthen my trombone embouchure. It seems, though, that the opposite is true. If I play the ophicleide for 30 minutes, and then go to my tenor trombone, I have great difficulty playing in tune. It seems like the ophicleide practice makes my embouchure fix on the ophicleide partials, and when I try to play the same pitch (a different partial on the trombone, of course) I almost can’t do it.

Is it just a bad idea to mix these two instruments, or should I persevere and hope things get better?
LeTromboniste

Re: Ophicleide embouchure

Post by LeTromboniste »

I don't think it's inherently bad to double on ophicleide. I find that when I practice a lot of ophicleide my trombone playing also improves. But it's entirely possible that you're doing something on the ophicleide that's messing up your trombone embouchure. I can imagine in particular that one can easily (because of the geometry of the instrument) have a different mouthpiece angle or placement on the ophicleide that forces you into using different mechanics, and that could cause problems!

Otherwise, make sure the mouthpiece you use is tuned to both you and the instrument. Mouthpiece proportions really affect the spacing of the partials/size of the octave. On ophicleide you already have to bend a lot of notes compared to trombone, but equipment can make that much worse. If the octaves are off, then you're going to have a lot of problems.

I think playing ophicleide can also be beneficial in forcing a heightened awareness of intonation issues onto the player, but you have to be careful not to associate that awareness too closely to your embouchure, especially when going back to trombone afterwards. I actually tend to look for intonation improvements through alternate fingerings first, before I start bending every note. Venting is your friend.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

How much different is it to blow the ophicleide?

My only double is between trumpet and trombone, but I have also had to do short demonstrations of tuba and short stints on euphonium.

If I don't adjust the volume and intensity of air for each instrument, I have very little success making a basic sound. let alone being accurate and flexible enough to make music.

I can't set any sort of embouchure, if my air is moving for a different tube size and shape.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Imagine fitting your trombone mouthpiece into a baritone sax. You need to use keys to change pitch -- that takes a bit of adjustment as well. Definitely not an easy double, but fun if you can invest the time. Also, a good Ophicleide is pretty pricey; not like the cheap Chinese ones.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Teaching & Learning”