Lessons in western Chicago suburbs

How and what to teach and learn.
Slideplay

Lessons in western Chicago suburbs

Post by Slideplay »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a teacher in this area? I'm returning to the instrument after 10+ years, so near but not quite beginner level. Thanks for your time.
JLivi

Re: Lessons in western Chicago suburbs

Post by JLivi »

I live in Arlington Heights, and I'm sure there are plenty of great teachers in your area. How far west? Oak Park, Elmhurst Wheaton?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Slideplay

Post by Slideplay »

West Chicago, but I'm willing to travel within reason for sure. I've just been out of the loop for so long I'm not sure where to start.
kingsk1117

Post by kingsk1117 »

I live in Batavia (next door to W. Chicago) and can check in with some of my High School band director trombone playing friends and get you some best recommendations.
Slideplay

Post by Slideplay »

Much appreciated!
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

There should be plenty of options in or around the Naperville area. I would reach out to the high school directors and see who is teaching there. Also, maybe check out Wheaton College and College if Dupage.

Unfortunately I don’t know anyone specifically out in that area. But whoever is I’m sure is great.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it yet: Douglas Yeo is on the faculty of Wheaton College. Even if he isn't personally accepting students, one of his current or former students might be offering lessons.

Another fantastic trombonist is Audrey Morrison, who's been in the Chicago area for several decades. She currently teaches at the Music Institute of Chicago. I met her at a summer jazz camp as a teenager 20-odd years ago (dang I feel old), and she was a huge influence on me. She turned me on to Clifford Brown, who was just about the greatest musician ever. Not biased or anything ;-)

Both of these folks would probably be glad to answer an e-mail.
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

Just realized: the Music Institute would probably be a trek for you. Looks like most of their classes are up on the North Shore. Still worth an e-mail, though: they may know someone closer to home.

I'd forgotten just how big Chicago is: it's a 90-minute train ride from West Chicago into the city! In New England, that could take you through four states.
lupusargentus

Post by lupusargentus »

jorymil wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:35 am I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it yet: Douglas Yeo is on the faculty of Wheaton College. Even if he isn't personally accepting students, one of his current or former students might be offering lessons.

Another fantastic trombonist is Audrey Morrison, who's been in the Chicago area for several decades. She currently teaches at the Music Institute of Chicago. I met her at a summer jazz camp as a teenager 20-odd years ago (dang I feel old), and she was a huge influence on me. She turned me on to Clifford Brown, who was just about the greatest musician ever. Not biased or anything ;-)

Both of these folks would probably be glad to answer an e-mail.
I met Audrey at probably the same music camp about 35 years ago. She's a fantastic teacher and player. I took some strictly technique lessons from her and progressed further in a month than two years with my private "teacher" in music school.
jph

Post by jph »

The University of Illinois search for a Jazz professor failed to surface Audrey Morrison, a nurturing teacher as well as tested performer.
Jim Pugh has earned his leading edge status in jazz innovation, so hiring Jim bolstered the program, but Audrey could have been brought in to teach the classical AND jazz repertoire.
Yeo would be a natural for the Northwestern or Depaul campus.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

jorymil wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:35 am I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it yet: Douglas Yeo is on the faculty of Wheaton College. Even if he isn't personally accepting students, one of his current or former students might be offering lessons.
Second this; I've had only a handful of brief interactions with Mr. Yeo but have found him to be extremely kind and approachable. Even if he doesn't have time to take on new students, he almost certainly has good recommendations.

If you're willing to travel into Chicago itself there's a huge number of good trombonists in the city - you might try contacting Catie Hickey, the trombone professor at Loyola. Or up in the north suburbs, Mark Fisher is willing to take time to teach hobbyists and returning players, with appropriate sensitivity to an individual student's musical goals.
jph

Post by jph »

Yeo is at Illinois now, although I suspect he still serves Wheaton.
You really can’t beat Evanston’s suburban offerings, Doug Wright and Randy Hawes (bass).
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Steve Wiest is also now a Chicago resident
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

jph wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:49 amYou really can’t beat Evanston’s suburban offerings, Doug Wright and Randy Hawes (bass).
I had no idea Randy Hawes moved to Evanston! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for any faculty recitals.
jph

Post by jph »

Not sure he’s permanently moved, but he’e there enough to teach at NU.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”