Aged 62, embouchure problems

How and what to teach and learn.
Rob1662

Aged 62, embouchure problems

Post by Rob1662 »

Bass Trombonist here:

Been back into playing for 18 months, been practicing minimum of 30 minutes a day using materials from my days at music college in the UK.

Really struggling with my embouchure from around D above middle C upwards, finding it hard to slur as though there's no buzz. It will then suddenly happen and it's all good upto Bb. My lips feel thinner than they used to.

Low register is working fine.

Playing on a Symington 2 in Kanstul 1662.

Your suggestions would be appreciated 🙂

Rob
Wilktone

Re: Aged 62, embouchure problems

Post by Wilktone »

I would need to see and hear how you're playing. If you can post video of your chops while playing over your entire range I'd be happy to look at it and see if there's anything I can spot and suggest.

Lessons are the best way to diagnose and troubleshoot. Since the pandemic I've broken down and started teaching a few video lessons. I've also taken a few from Doug Elliott, who is very knowledgeable and good at working with student's embouchures through video chat. Doug is a moderator here on Trombone Chat and you can reach him through a private message. He'll probably pop in on this thread when he sees it.

Doug, since I have your attention, I sent you an email about grabbing another lesson myself...

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
Rob1662

Post by Rob1662 »

Thanks David, I will Pm you over the next few days👍
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

What ever you do don’t give up. It took me two years to get back to where I thought I was after a long hiatus. Then I started advancing again. It could be breath support as well as embouchure.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Savio

Post by Savio »

There is some good advices in the two threads about flat chin. But best to order a lesson with Doug or Dave. I'm definitely not right to advice anything in that register, it could damage your playing for life. :D

But I'm 60 myself and feel something changes both here and there. :roll: :mrgreen:

Leif
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Take a lesson or two, Doug Elliott is a great shout for chop problems!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I'm sure I can help you get things working. Message me here or email.

Sorry Dave, I can always make time for a lesson but mostly I'm trying to catch up on my mouthpiece business right now.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Rob1662

Post by Rob1662 »

Thanks Doug, I'll email you later👍
blast

Post by blast »

Is the Kanstul a new purchase or did you use it in the past ?
Chris
Rob1662

Post by Rob1662 »

Now you've got a good point there Chris, I bought it just before Covid hit us, didn't play it much then and now I'm back into it I've hit this problem.
Played loads of legato studies, lip slurs against the slide and normal. Chas Collins, Magio, Bordogni etc.
Rob1662

Post by Rob1662 »

I also changed to a Symington 2 mouthpiece from a 1.5 size Marcinkiewicz so a few variables to eliminate here. I have briefly tried different mps to no avail but maybe they need longer more sustained practice. Done a couple of hours on a MV 2G today which felt massive compared to the Symington 🤣
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Rob1662 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:11 am My lips feel thinner than they used to.
That's a real thing. Muscles lose mass with age.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
blast

Post by blast »

Rob1662 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:10 am Now you've got a good point there Chris, I bought it just before Covid hit us, didn't play it much then and now I'm back into it I've hit this problem.
Played loads of legato studies, lip slurs against the slide and normal. Chas Collins, Magio, Bordogni etc.
That's interesting. I got a Kanstul 1670 Roberts model in a trade just before Christmas. Very early example with brass outer slide. After two weeks of serious tryout, I started to feel things were just not right...notes were getting harder to produce. A bit of experimenting and one of my Conn slides brought the Kanstul bell back in line. Still not of the quality of a good Conn. I was quite hands on in testing Symingtons at the prototype stage and would not hesitate in recommending the 2 as an excellent mouthpiece.
See if you can try a good mainstream instrument before you blame your face. No amount of muscle contortion will bring poor equipment round. I've blown good Kanstuls but also quite a few duds.
Chris
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Definitely get some lessons. Doug is excellent and you might want to find someone local. Been spending more and more time with my Symington 2, it seems to hit a spot.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”