Resources for studying jazz trombone

How and what to teach and learn.
Shiny

Resources for studying jazz trombone

Post by Shiny »

Hi all,

New trombonist here, at probably an early intermediate level. I’m keen to get into playing jazz, especially in the style of New Orleans bands like Tuba Skinny, or other 1920s - 40s jazz bands and even modern blues bands. Modern jazz has never been so much of my cup of tea.

Right now I’d rather deal in PDFs or Kindle books if possible, as international shipping is particularly slow and unreliable at the moment. I don’t mind paying, but I also don’t live in the US.

I’d also prefer working from sheet music because I find it more efficient in terms of practice time than listening. For context, I taught myself passable blues piano by studying transcriptions of pianists and learning to mix their styles together when playing my own things, and I’m hoping to do something similar here.

So! If you’re still with me, I’d really appreciate recommendations for books in electronic format to do a bit of self-study from. Real/fake books? Particular methods to latch on to or to avoid? Transcriptions? Thank you!

(And if you have some trombonists to listen to whom you think I’d particularly enjoy, I’d appreciate the recommendations as well. Thank you!)
BGuttman

Re: Resources for studying jazz trombone

Post by BGuttman »

Refer to this discussion: https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... 69#p167869

Mike Lake wrote a book called "Improvisation Savvy" that can also help.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Shiny

Re: Resources for studying jazz trombone

Post by Shiny »

Thank you.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”