How and what to teach and learn.
timothy42b

Why we envy trumpets - soundproofing

Post by timothy42b »

robcat2075

Re: Why we envy trumpets - soundproofing

Post by robcat2075 »

Hmmm.

399 Euros for a bucket lined with cement and foam is a bit much, but I bet it does its job.

I've been toying with a concept a bit like that for trombone except its a cube to allow clearance for the slide.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
muschem

Post by muschem »

It is an interesting notion… I like the idea of similar volume reduction as playing muted without the change in front end weight, blow, intonation, etc. I may something like this a shot the next time I feel the urge to tackle a DIY project.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

• If I were to imagine a "window" that I could put my bell through and have room for my arm to work the slide it might be about 2 feet on the diagonal
  • The distance from the bell to the end of the slide in seventh position is less than 4 feet.
With that in mind, and maybe some extra width at the far end to accommodate expressive slide-waving, one might construct a box like this...

Trombone Enclosure.jpg

It would be made of plywood with a layer of sheet rock inside and some shag carpet on top of that for sound dampening.

Some flexible material might drape around the opening to diminish escaping sound.

The sides could be fashioned to be held together with bolts and wing nuts or maybe some rails so that the thing could be broken down and stacked at the side of the room when not in use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

As it is very close to my practice mute (which is likely the world's best, just sayin'), I'm sure it's quite good. Though you can't pack it in your overhead bag very easily.
ldmitruk

Post by ldmitruk »

robcat2075 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:05 pm Hmmm.

399 Euros for a bucket lined with cement and foam is a bit much, but I bet it does its job.

I've been toying with a concept a bit like that for trombone except its a cube to allow clearance for the slide.
As long as the trumpet is placed in the cement before it sets.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I fired a deer rifle through a length of concrete sewer tube once. Well, more than once, half a magazine or so, enough to be sure it was sighted in.

It was a safety requirement at that range, forcing the rounds to go down range into a berm, and also supposed to reduce noise around the area. I don't know if it did that but it certainly reflected noise back at the shooter.
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

Something like this would easily work for trombone if it were on a boom stand instead of a tripod. Even in the trumpet version I would be inclined to have a separate music stand because not everyone likes to play under the stand like that.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”