Being in the moment

How and what to teach and learn.
Savio

Being in the moment

Post by Savio »

Isn’t it strange that when playing in say a big concert where everything goes well, we feel we create something with the other musicians, we communicate with the audience. That’s the moment where age, colour, politics, differences is kind of gone. We only feel togetherness, and it’s a wonderful experience. It can only happens in a live performance and we all feel that magic music can create. Isn’t it a idea to invite all politicians to go to concert and experience this magic? Maybe they see the value of music and art, and how it can connect people and have richer life for all that will benefit everything in our society. Even economic. Just some thoughts when playing a great concert today and thinking in the moment we play, we are all united. Everything else is whipped out.

Just some thoughts.

Leif
BGuttman

Re: Being in the moment

Post by BGuttman »

I like your thoughts, Leif, but many politicians seem to have no sense of music. A lot of them seem to understand very different "vibes" than what you or I respond to. Some of them are so ego-centric that unless the experience is all about them, they tune it out.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

There are enough completely bonkers musicians out there that I'm doubtful more music is the answer to our problems.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

I’m convinced career politicians are near sociopaths, so I agree with Bruce.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Politicians probably won't benefit at all from any such experience. Human beings are meant to be free to rome around and do whatever they want in really small groups, and we did this for about 330,000 years. Then the idea of politics was invented, probably by a sociopath. We haven't been the same since.

How on earth do you trick someone into giving you all their time and almost all of what they produce using that time? Only a politician can do this.
afugate

Post by afugate »

I've thought a lot about this subject since my election to the Oklahoma State Legislature in November 2018.

The basic paradigm in politics is unhealthy. Today's politics is referred to as "the art of compromise." But compromise generally means we each give up something to accommodate the other. Rarely is anyone satisfied by the result because all sides hope to win for themselves.

Just as with art, compromise in politics leads to Picasso-esque results.

Musicians know a better way: collaboration. When musicians come together to perform, we collaborate. We all share in a common vision that allows people to contribute to make the end product the best we can make it for our audience.

--Andy in OKC
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Being in the moment is an act of awareness and meditation.

Living with others is an act of survival and politics—which are, all too often, the same thing.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

afugate wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:01 am
Musicians know a better way [than "compromise."]: collaboration. When musicians come together to perform, we collaborate. We all share in a common vision that allows people to contribute to make the end product the best we can make it for our audience.
So true, Andy. Thanks! :good:
blast

Post by blast »

robcat2075 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:22 pm There are enough completely bonkers musicians out there that I'm doubtful more music is the answer to our problems.
Did you really post that ??? Wow.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

blast wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:04 pm
robcat2075 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:22 pm There are enough completely bonkers musicians out there that I'm doubtful more music is the answer to our problems.
Second. Wow.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Fugate for President
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:53 am Fugate for President
Amen to that!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

We have even discussed a number of these people... by name... on this forum. Highly placed musical performers whose musical involvement has not remedied their toxic problems, perhaps even empowered them to be worse.

And now no one remembers that?
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

robcat2075 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:17 am
We have even discussed a number of these people... by name... on this forum. Highly placed musical performers whose musical involvement has not remedied their toxic problems, perhaps even empowered them to be worse.

And now no one remembers that?
What does that have to do with the musical product people would listen to, as outlined in the OP? What a strange, strange post, Rob. Think about this a little before posting.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

My idea of being "in the moment" is the times when I and the band are clicking and we are playing at or above our peak ability. The outside world seems to recede and all there is is me, my horn, the band, and the music we are producing acting as a single entity.
Greg Songer
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Sounds like "solidarity".
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Savio wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:50 pm Isn’t it strange that when playing in say a big concert where everything goes well, we feel we create something with the other musicians, we communicate with the audience. That’s the moment where age, colour, politics, differences is kind of gone. We only feel togetherness, and it’s a wonderful experience. It can only happens in a live performance and we all feel that magic music can create. Isn’t it a idea to invite all politicians to go to concert and experience this magic? Maybe they see the value of music and art, and how it can connect people and have richer life for all that will benefit everything in our society. Even economic. Just some thoughts when playing a great concert today and thinking in the moment we play, we are all united. Everything else is whipped out.

Just some thoughts.

Leif
The powers of music is for all people but we must realise we are much to different to be able to say what music is to another human. You pick up what you can. If you are blessed with a soul that easily can be touched by music it's one of your talents, others might not feel anything. Politicians are also different. Some might be gifted and pick up the same things you do and some might not.

Politicians need statistics. Thats one thing they understand. If we can prove music is good then music is important. Unfortunately politicians measure what's good only by money.

/Tom
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Eight presidents were musicians. Jefferson sang and played violin. John Quincy Adams was a flute player, albeit a mediocre one at best. John Tyler was accomplished enough consider being a concert violinist but his father pushed him towards law. Warren G. Harding “played every instrument but the slide trombone and the E-flat cornet” and even played the tuba at the 1920 Democratic convention to celebrate his nomination. Harry Truman was on track to be a concert pianist but decided he wasn't talented enough. Nixon couldn't read music but besides piano, he also played saxophone, clarinet, violin, and accordion, all by ear. Bill Clinton sang in the school choir and practiced the saxophone as many as four hours a day in high school. He played in a band on weekends while in college. Obama had a good singing voice. He sang "Amazing Grace" at a state funeral and his Spotify playlist included Coltrane, Nina Simone, the Rolling Stones, and Beyonce.
Greg Songer

Return to “Teaching & Learning”