Jazz method book

How and what to teach and learn.
jpwell

Jazz method book

Post by jpwell »

So the melodious études bordoni book is the goto book for classical music, is there a jazz method book?? High School level for trombone thx
robcat2075

Re: Jazz method book

Post by robcat2075 »

This thread offered some possibilities, although none is a "go-to"...

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic ... 11&t=20936
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
jpwell

Post by jpwell »

Thx a good start
afugate

Post by afugate »

jpwell wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:32 pm So the melodious études bordoni book is the goto book for classical music, is there a jazz method book?? High School level for trombone thx
If you're looking for some basics, the Raph book will help you understand how to interpret what's on the written page. This is especially useful for ensemble work, e.g., playing in a jazz band.

The Snidero books and accompanying CDs are good tunes and excellent aural references. I highly recommend both.
--Andy in OKC

This is a snippet from the other thread RobCat2075 mentioned...
JLivi wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:08 pm
CalgaryTbone wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:46 am To address a different skill for young jazz performers, Alan Raph wrote an etude book called "Dance Band Reading" (or something similar). Good book to work through for working on reading charts.

Jim Scott
This book is phenomenal!

Also, I use the skills learned in Alan Raph's book and apply them to Jim Snidero's jazz conception etude book
Last edited by afugate on Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Aebersold, if you don't know anything about jazz
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

What are you looking to work on? The Rochut book, for example, is good for practicing legato and expressive playing in a particular style. If you're wanting to work on something similar, but in a jazz style, pick up a fake book and practice playing ballads.

Mark Nightengale's jazz etude book is good, if you're advanced enough to play them. Any book of trombone transcriptions could also be used to develop your chops while playing in a jazz style, but you'll get more out of it if you transcribe the solos yourself.

For learning to improvise, the Aebersold series are very good practice tools.

Like everything, it will help if you can work on this stuff under the guidance of a teacher.

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

For technique and chord scale relationships a great (old) text is "jazz Scales for Improvisation" by Dan Haerle

https://www.amazon.ca/Scales-Jazz-Impro ... 0898987059

On the other hand, there are so many things about style that have to be heard to be learned.

This is also true of "classical" music, but is even more important in jazz. The variation in where to play in the beat, the choice of tone colours, the sound of articulations make transcriptions and printed books just a scaffold to begin practice.

Whatever material you choose to put on your stand, listening, with an ear to learning the historic styles of it, will make that stuff even more useful.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Bob McChesney has a couple of books out that might be of interest to an advanced player interested in jazz improvisation and, well, playing like Bob McChesney;

https://www.bobmcchesney.com/cds---books-
jpwell

Post by jpwell »

I am starting from scratch so all of your help is appreciated.
Thx
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Kai Winding’s book is good
afugate

Post by afugate »

jpwell wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:18 pm I am starting from scratch so all of your help is appreciated.
Thx
Your OP indicates you might be a younger player. Here's some "old guy" advice. :idea:

Listen to a lot of the kind of music you're trying to play. But DON'T graze mindlessly from tune to tune. Pick a tune and put it on repeat for a week. Listen and keep finding new nuances, not just with what the bone player(s) is doing. Listen to the rhythm section. Listen to the other players. Listen for the "conversation" that's happening among all the performers in the recording.

--Andy in OKC
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Andy's advice is spot on (as usual). The people we regard as "greats" today did not have "method books" to work from. They had the standard methods that teach you to play trombone and learned the Jazz part by listening.

That said, there is also a nice book by Mike Lake called "Improvisation Savvy" that can help you work up a decent solo.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

Listen to a lot of the kind of music you're trying to play. But DON'T graze mindlessly from tune to tune. Pick a tune and put it on repeat for a week. Listen and keep finding new nuances, not just with what the bone player(s) is doing. Listen to the rhythm section. Listen to the other players. Listen for the "conversation" that's happening among all the performers in the recording.

--Andy in OKC

Further to this, see how close to the "original" version of the tune you can get. A lot of standards have long histories and hearing how they evolved is helpful to developing your concept of the tune.
jpwell

Post by jpwell »

Thx all!!

This has opened my eyes to a brand new way of learning jazz.
comebackplayer

Post by comebackplayer »

Real book bass clef may also be a place to start. It would be a good way to just start playing tunes.
Massimo69

Post by Massimo69 »

Hi my book are The jazz bass trombone here found everything from basics until jazz

Return to “Teaching & Learning”