Some suggestions

How and what to teach and learn.
Savio

Some suggestions

Post by Savio »

Some thoughts I have:

To make the forum easier to navigate I suggest to make a chapter for beginners that might be all from maintenance of the trombone, how to make the first step to start playing, where to find teachers, schools or just how to start playing. Maybe kind of support, tutorials or knowledge base? It can help the forum in many ways, even avoid misunderstandings. But it need some work to do it. I mean some common questions like how to make the slide or where is all the positions? (Which I still wonder about :D :amazed: )

Leif
BGuttman

Re: Some suggestions

Post by BGuttman »

We had originally planned to have a Wiki attached to the Chat for just the things you mention. Problem is, I put one article in it (on lubrication) and it got hacked big time and we had to shut it down.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Savio

Post by Savio »

Bruce, I think all are amazed at how much effort you have put down in this and the old forum. You are amazing :good: :good: :good: :good:

Still It will be easier for you and all to make a kind of base of answers to frequently asked questions?
Just a suggestion,..

Leif
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I suspect such articles in a knowledge base are not any more likely to be concise or dissension-free than threads on the same topics in the forum are.

If someone wants to create such a beginner's guide it is easy enough to do on the web and put a link to it here, but if it were actually part of the forum... who would decide what the approved advice is, since we rarely agree in any of the threads? :D
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

We could do it where it wasn't a discussion, just a list of articles or videos and the author's name. Choose your own adventure. I have a few videos specifically for brand new beginners.

Maybe posts could be allowed for comments, but it wouldn't be an argument. Maybe the original author wouldn't be allowed to further comment at all, other than to answer specific questions.
Savio

Post by Savio »

robcat2075 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:49 pm I suspect such articles in a knowledge base are not any more likely to be concise or dissension-free than threads on the same topics in the forum are.

If someone wants to create such a beginner's guide it is easy enough to do on the web and put a link to it here, but if it were actually part of the forum... who would decide what the approved advice is, since we rarely agree in any of the threads? :D
Have a little faith Robert! To not agree is a sign of healthiness but to lubricate the slide is a must for all.

Leif
ParLawGod

Post by ParLawGod »

There is a terrific extension for phpBB3 called Simple Content Management that would be perfect for creating a section for articles. I've used it before.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/cmbb/
afugate

Post by afugate »

ParLawGod wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:46 pm There is a terrific extension for phpBB3 called Simple Content Management that would be perfect for creating a section for articles. I've used it before.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/cmbb/
One of the challenges of a mix-and-match approach to open source software is managing updates. Components can sometimes be a different stages in their development cycles when an update is released. Sometimes components are abandoned by developers. That means more testing, longer maintenance windows, and more deliberate reversion planning if there are initial cutover problems. It can also make troubleshooting more challenging if problems are encountered after the initial launch period.

There is much to consider before utilizing non-core software, especially for a support team that is all volunteer.

I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be done. I really like Savio's original idea of having some kind of knowledge base to capture the collective wisdom, even if some if it is completely contradictory! :lol: I had hopes for the wiki approach, but that wasn't secure. Perhaps Simple Content Management is a good option. :idk: I just want people to understand the considerations our terrific volunteer staff must weigh before they commit more of their time for the rest of us who enjoy this community.

--Andy in OKC
afugate

Post by afugate »

For those who might be interested, another approach is to create a separate resource on another platform (e.g., CMS, Wiki, etc.) and then create links between the two.

Among the advantages are simplified upgrades and the ability to have separate volunteer maintenance teams.

There are significant downsides, not the least of which is having two user logins.

As always, YMMV.
--Andy in OKC
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Andy is spot on. We had a wiki but I’m not a fan of the wikimedia software. The default setup, which is what’s supported, relies on a lot of manual intervention. Actually, we weren’t hacked per se, it’s that the default for wiki is to allow anyone to edit and they just rely on a mountain of volunteers to stop the spam etc.

I quite like the idea though. The easiest way would be to make a separate sub forum for topics and probably give enhanced moderation privileges to some and possibly only read only access to others.

Another software solution would be possible but that does require a second login. I’m very reluctant to install something on phpbb itself due to possible lack of support and compatibility issues.
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

Savio wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:58 pm To make the forum easier to navigate I suggest to make a chapter for beginners that might be all from maintenance of the trombone, how to make the first step to start playing, where to find teachers, schools or just how to start playing. Maybe kind of support, tutorials or knowledge base? It can help the forum in many ways, even avoid misunderstandings. But it need some work to do it. I mean some common questions like how to make the slide or where is all the positions? (Which I still wonder about :D :amazed: )
I like the idea, but what you're describing sounds more like a web page reference, rather than a forum discussion. Since I'm not a forum moderator or administrator I don't have any real opinion about whether or not it's something the TC forum would want to take on. But if it's something to help beginners navigate the forum you could simply put a sticky topic up somewhere and direct beginners there.

On the other hand, if beginners have questions I think a welcoming atmosphere (which I think we have in this forum) and encouragement to join and post questions is a good way to help them answer those questions. Sure, we end up dealing with the same topics over and over again, but that's what teachers do anyway. It wouldn't bore me.
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com

Return to “Teaching & Learning”